The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 planted+, but i have been only using the white +red LEDs during photoperiod. The moonlight/Blue LEDs are a separate switch. I was wondering, would it be better to have the blue LEDs on as well?

I notice my Sat. Current freshwater+ has blue LEDs on in full spectrum mode (yellow button)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
i have 2 planted+, but i have been only using the white +red LEDs during photoperiod. The moonlight/Blue LEDs are a separate switch. I was wondering, would it be better to have the blue LEDs on as well?

I notice my Sat. Current freshwater+ has blue LEDs on in full spectrum mode (yellow button)
Google the spectral output for a white led. Look in Google Images.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts

the 7000k led's fall under the cool/pure white category to provide a fair bit of light in the blue spectrum. Using the additional blue moon lights would heavily skew the light balance into the blues. I run only the red/white combination.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
So use or do not use the moonlights with the red and white, I usthem because it seems to bring more color out visualy to the plants.

·
Registered
12,849 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It's never disturbed my fish with the light on at night. Nor my shrimp tank. I have observed my fish just kinda floating aimlessly on the bottom with the moonlights on. Shrimp. Well there always active.

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
That's too bad. I'm really curious as to how my tank would look at night with the blue on.
On a personal note... and small @nal point.. "moonlight" is white.. ;)

Blue is not my favorite color...

Any photons illicit photosynthesis.. I suspect it is not enough to throw the plants natural cycles out of wack.. unless it is overly bright...

if I liked blue I'd be in saltwater.. ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
The youtube video makes it look so cool. I guess I'll have to see it in person to judge.

I just found out that the Planted+ has two switches but only one power cord. This makes the moonlight feature useless at night on a timer.

·
Registered
223 Posts

To the OP, or for anyone who can comment, how does the planted+ handle red plants? I just bought one and am wondering if I need a second on my 20 long to maintain coloration in plants, at least near the top...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have two 20" Finnex planted+ over my Mr. Aqua 11.4. They are on 4" acrylic raisers, bringing the actual distance from the substrate to right at 15". I have Rotala Colorata in this tank. It is in the back right corner where the substrate is significantly higher than the front (which is where the 15" measurement comes from). The Rotala Colorata was purchased from h4n and was a brilliant red. At first it started growing green tops in my tank. This had me a little disappointed. However after I started adding micro nutrients and dosing additional iron the plant has really colored up. I will honestly say it is not the deep red like when I received it. It is however a reddish orange which of course becomes increasingly more saturated as it approaches the surface. I just did a major trim to encourage bushy growth but I would be happy to take a picture to give you an idea of the color when the stems grow back in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
moonlight color can differ for a lot of reasons. longitude, time of day, month, atmospheric conditions, as well as cosmic radiation. what we see as white is not what you get when you are under water. in most locations around the world the moonlight is actually blue, this is caused by the same thing that makes the sky blue during the day. add the water in and the overwhelming color is blue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good question.
I like how the tank looks with both switches on.
But how does it affect the plants? Is it better to just keep red/white on?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts