The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I want to start my first planted tank, but I have a few requirements. I want to use a 5.5g or a 10g, maybe a 20 long. I don't really want to have to do any special stuff like dosing or co2. I just want to deal with lights and maybe a few small things. I really like:
-Wrestling halfbeaks
-Corys
-Pea puffers
-RCS shrimp(or any compatible)
I'm open to other fish it's just I really would like to have these fish at least.

I know that some fish may not do well with eachother sometimes but I've seen it done before. Please help me setup my first tank. I need to know like everything from what tank and lights, substrate etc.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well I can tell you that this subject will open a can of worms. And really a lot of that is personal decision. With a small tank (5.5 or 10) you won't be able to put that much and I CAN tell you that corydoras require a minimum school of 3 as they are schooling fish. That takes up the majority of the room you'll have in a 10 and all the room on a 5.5 (which I think would be too small anyway for the little guys, they're very active).

As far as lights, really if you don't want to dose with CO2 you shouldn't get something top strong as you're just inviting a headache with algae. And if you don't want to have to maintain it that much the light doesn't have to be anything special (example: my 15G has one single daylight fluorescent light on a timer, split. 4 hours on, 8 off, 4 on, 8 off, so on and so forth).

Substrate is also a personal preference because all substrates have a different look. I prefer dark/black but maybe you'll prefer fine, light, medium, course, inert or heavily nutrient packed. It depends on how much work you want to do in the long run with root tabs and dosing. (you'll have to dose the water column anyway to ensure all the plants get the correct amount of nutrients to grow).

Best I can advise here is to really lurk this forum for a while. Read as much as you can. Watch others build theirs and see the mistakes they made and fixed. Most of what you want advice on is subject to personal taste.

Start in the low tech forum. No CO2 and no fancy lighting. Just plants, filter, water and fish most of the time. That will give you a good idea on a shopping list. Start writing it down and researching prices as I promise the start up will begin to seem crazy outrageous if you're not already prepared for it.

Good luck and I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Pea Puffer article, concerns with Corys maybe.
Dwarf Puffer Fish

If you have space for a 20 gallon you will be better off.
A standard hood with a T8 lamp would be sufficient for low light plants.

Your selection of fishes may not work too well.
The puffer may be the problem child.

Do you have specific plants in mind???

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
That is a site which can save you lots of problems/w the fish IF you follow the suggestions found on it.
+1 for the answer given by Goomie, by the way.
Each individual category of your question likely should be a separate question to get
better responses.
There are a few plants which can exist on the nutrients they would get if
you do frequent water changes and the fish food/waste being added for/from the fish.
But adding nutrients is standard for most plants.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the answers. Though I'm starting to think planted tanks are too much for me. I don't want to be doing huge water changes or getting expensive equipment, etc. I don't really care about what kinda plants that much just anything that will be fine with only light. So scrap the corys. How would a nice piece of manzanita with a few easy low tech plants do. With some inert black sand?
Maybe
-oto's
-rcs shrimp
-1 pea puffer
-1 wrestling halfbeak
-other compatible small fish.

I'm thinking 10 gallon. I'm not fond of the 20g and the 5.5 is tiny.. Unless I found a cube like aquarium.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realize DP might be a bad idea. Need stocking ideas for 5.5g planted lightly. I want wrestling half beaks, shrimp, and other suitable tank mates. Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
Planted tanks can be very easy.
Aside from my 40 gallon, I have a 2 gallon planted Betta bowl sitting here that I hardly touch.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I realize DP might be a bad idea. Need stocking ideas for 5.5g planted lightly. I want wrestling half beaks, shrimp, and other suitable tank mates. Thanks
Though I'm starting to think planted tanks are too much for me. I don't want to be doing huge water changes or getting expensive equipment, etc.How would a nice piece of manzanita with a few easy low tech plants do. With some inert black sand?

I'm thinking 10 gallon. I'm not fond of the 20g and the 5.5 is tiny.. Unless I found a cube like aquarium.
DP would most likely munch on shrimp.
I suggest trying AqAdvisor.com and put in your tank info.
Those halfbeaks are 3 inch fish, known to jump, and will crash into the glass in a small tank.

Planted tank can be minimal work with minimal water changes.
No expensive equipment is needed.
Spiderwood is also nice.
Black diamond blasting sand is nice and cheap @ Tractor Supply.

Check out the low tech threads, many people here have awesome low-tech aquariums

1 - 8 of 8 Posts