The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, currently setting up at 20 long. It's about 12-13" deep with 2"-3" of Amazonia substrate. I am looking to make this a low tech tank, no CO2 and dose excel very sparingly. Would the planted+ cause algae problems? Should I just go with the fugeray?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi, currently setting up at 20 long. It's about 12-13" deep with 2"-3" of Amazonia substrate. I am looking to make this a low tech tank, no CO2 and dose excel very sparingly. Would the planted+ cause algae problems? Should I just go with the fugeray?
seems like the planted+ is slighter dimmer then the fugeray. so, your better luck with the planted+

·
Registered
103 Posts
With my experience with Finnex FugeRay planted + you'll need to fill the tank up completely with plants right off the bat or yes you will have issues with algae's.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
But it may be a great choice if you do the trick of putting a patch of window screen over it. I have been pondering the idea myself with my 20 long.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
But it may be a great choice if you do the trick of putting a patch of window screen over it. I have been pondering the idea myself with my 20 long.
That has worked really well on mine. To get into the low light range I went double up on the screen through a glass top.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
That has worked really well on mine. To get into the low light range I went double up on the screen through a glass top.
I use Finnex FugeRay Planted + on all my tanks. 9.5 L has a 2' fixture. Right now it has meshing (screen) on 50% of the fixture . My 30 gallon when new with very little plants I had to raised the fixture and lowered it to its sitting position over a 3 month period.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so since most think the planted + may cause slight algae problem, would the fugeray be even worse?

I am looking at open top if at all possible. Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, thanks. I was thinking fugeray was brighter based on Ebi response...

Would perhaps the red led lights on the planted + help control algae? Or is algae control just based on par ratings ( lower the better)?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm currently considering a 30" Planted+ for my 29g. If I get it I plan on either raising it or using a screen to lower the PAR if needed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought a 30" planted plus for my 29g. First time setting up a planted tank. With a glass cover, would I still have to raise the light to help avoid algae?

Here I was thinking it would be too little of light? Not planning on running CO2.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Very interested in the answer for that.

Other thing I'm now considering is the CFL 6500k bulbs. I'm just having a tough time tracking down relevant PAR data for them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
"I bought a 30" planted plus for my 29g. First time setting up a planted tank. With a glass cover, would I still have to raise the light to help avoid algae?

Here I was thinking it would be too little of light? Not planning on running CO2."

This would greatly depend on how many plants are in the tank. My tank was lightly planted. So, yes I got algae. I started with the 36" planted + raised 6" over a 29 gallon and gradually lowered it as I filled the tank and those plants grew. Now that same tank is FULL of plants, Ludwigia Repens X Arcuata a glowing bronze color, red under the leaves. Limnophilia sp wavy trying to push the glass up, and a bunch other odd highlight plants doing well with the 36" Finnex FugeRay planted +.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is my 29 gallon. It is my plant catch all tank and my plant hospital tank. This is where I put bunches of clippings to root before I share or trade them for store credit at my LFS. Currently illuminated by a 36" Finnex FugeRay planted +.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 9.5 gallon long has had some issues. It currently has mesh covering 50% of the LED's. This is a newly planted tank. Current illumination ; 2' Finnex FugeRay planted +

You have to realize that when they made this light fixture it was designed for a standard type tank. Probably for a 20 gallon. Just like the original poster wondering about the 20 long. A LED fixture at the length to fit his tank is probably designed for a 30-40 gallon tank that is much deeper. So yeah, you may have issues unless your tank is full of plants and using CO2 to balance plant growth. A Fuge Ray will give less PAR but will it be at the spectrums you want for plant growth?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Got the "mesh" from arts and craft store. It's a sheet that's 12"x12", used for needle work or something. Cut and used hot glue to glue 2 corners. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cool! Thanks for sharing the pictures too!

Yeah, my 29g, is the standard 18" high.

With using typical "starter" plants, about how many would you say would be a good general number to plant? Just a rough estimate would be nice.

edit- I would also be running a glass top under the lights I think.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. The 29g is certainly a higher tank than I would like, and so I think I'll go forward with the planted+ and use that screen or something similar if needed. I also use a glass top, with that damned brown divider right in the middle, so that likely cuts down on light as well.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. The 29g is certainly a higher tank than I would like, and so I think I'll go forward with the planted+ and use that screen or something similar if needed. I also use a glass top, with that damned brown divider right in the middle, so that likely cuts down on light as well.
Just a tip on the divider hinge. I removed it and cut off three half inch pieces. Put one in the middle and one on each end. Opened up the middle for the light to be even.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think for the OP planted+ is better option but for someone with 29 gallon Ray2 might be the best. I e-mailed Finnex for my 29 gallon and I told them i have DIY CO2 and possible full CO2 setup later on, they recommended ray2.

I really want to get the planted+ but the par data is not available and it has less 7000K leds that original fuge ray. It might be better get the ray2 than a low light fixture if you ever plan on adding CO2. I would like to hear more if anyone have experience with both lights.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts