The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 3 gallon fishbowl with aqueon substrate, java fern, java moss, crypts, anubia, and some foxtale. There is some string algea, but not much (I believe it came from a recent addition of foxtale from my friend's tank). (I used water and substrate from my established 50 gallon, so there was no cycle.)

There is one betta and a few snails (ramshorn and nerite) in the bowl. It has been running for 6 weeks w/o issues. The parameters are good: no noticeable ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. (I check them 2 times a week). I do a 50% water change every week with RO water and minerals. There is no filter/bubbler on the bowl.

I noticed last week there is a smell to the tank. It is almost like a dirty sock or old dog pee on a carpet kind of smell. I did 2 50% water changes over a week. I added a small bag of carbon. Also, I trimmed the plants and removed leaves that were not thriving. The tank looks healthy except for the smell. SO far, there hasn't been any difference in the smell.

Any idea how to get rid of the smell and/or why it started? I thought about adding a bubbler, but the tank ran for 5 weeks without a bubbler.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hello,
I have a 3 gallon fishbowl with aqueon substrate, java fern, java moss, crypts, anubia, and some foxtale. There is some string algea, but not much (I believe it came from a recent addition of foxtale from my friend's tank). (I used water and substrate from my established 50 gallon, so there was no cycle.)

There is one betta and a few snails (ramshorn and nerite) in the bowl. It has been running for 6 weeks w/o issues. The parameters are good: no noticeable ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. (I check them 2 times a week). I do a 50% water change every week with RO water and minerals. There is no filter/bubbler on the bowl.

I noticed last week there is a smell to the tank. It is almost like a dirty sock or old dog pee on a carpet kind of smell. I did 2 50% water changes over a week. I added a small bag of carbon. Also, I trimmed the plants and removed leaves that were not thriving. The tank looks healthy except for the smell. SO far, there hasn't been any difference in the smell.

Any idea how to get rid of the smell and/or why it started? I thought about adding a bubbler, but the tank ran for 5 weeks without a bubbler.
There will usually be some nitrate in a fully cycled tank. I would continue with more water changes through out the week and see if the smell goes away. Adding a bubble should also help.

Check to see if any of your snails have passed. Deceased snails will often have a really foul smell to them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.