The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

New here. I seek some help with my Planted Cube. I started this a couple of months back (Dec 24, 2020 to be precise).Grew the plants from seeds with dry start method. Recently I am noticing some deterioration of the fauna. Need help with the same.

I have read up a bit on melting that occurs after the dry start method. Is this what it looks like also how long will this last? and also I hope this survives the process; also if there is anything to remedy this

Tank Stats:
Size - 18" Cube
Light - 10W LED floodlight
No CO2
No fishes (just one apple snail added yesterday)
12 hr Light cycle
There is a Top filter that goes off when the lights come on.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
If these were seeds bought on ebay or amazon, and its only been say a few weeks since you filled it. Then my guess is you do not actually have aquatic plant seeds. Those seed sellers are notorious for selling 'aquatic plant' seeds that are actually just random terrestrial ground cover. Hopefully this is not the case but if it is, you will see continued deterioration until it all just rots away.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
That is probably the case. These seed packets popped up in LFS and online years ago and they'll probably be around forever. They're targeted toward DSM tanks and the plants survive up to 3 months submerged before inevitably melting away.

True aquatic carpeting seeds are tedious to produce in large quantities so I doubt you'd find legit ones for cheap.

I assume those were sold to you as HC or glossostigma seeds? Mine were, turned out to be some terrestrial hygrophila species.

Tissue cultures or submersed/emersed mats are a bit more reliable to source than the seeds anyway

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys yep got it off Amazon dirt cheap... And now we know😓

So should I just pull these off or wait and watch I do not intend to add fishes here now as I assume ammonia spikes around the corner.

Anyways has anyone grown aquatic fauna from seeds any reliable source for seeds?

·
Registered
757 Posts
The only true aquatic seeds I have found were for lotus, which are a pond plant, but are reliable producers of seed which also stores for ages while remaining viable, which is why it's so easy to source.

You're better off with mats, pots or TC cups.

·
Registered
75 Community, 33L Gourami, 10 gal shrimp for fun
70 Posts
If that's all the case I would pull it and start over. Kill all lights until you get new plants if you leave the water in there. But those plants will just leach more nutrients from the soil that could go to other plants down the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts