The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyones opinion on purchasing already established chunks of carpet plants such as baby tears, hair grass, microsword, etc?

Are they easily plantable?

Or is it better to just purchase them in pots then plant them myself and let them spread and form a carpet on their own?

I'd love it if I can buy an established mat and lay it down on the substrate like sod and have it attach/establish in my tank.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Sodding doesn't really work if your tank is filled with water. With no established roots in the substrate, the mat will just float up unless you completely bury it. You're better off taking the mat of carpet plants and ripping it up into smaller clumps before planting.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
its the only way to get a carpet plant really. even if you are buying a 2" pot of glosso in rockwool at your lfs, its still a carpet mat, just one thats only 2".
and the best way is to break it up as much as possible and plant those small bits. with plants like glosso and hm that means one 3" stem segment at a time (but planting clump by clump is much faster, and still works ok). for dhg, i bundle up the runners so i plant about a 10-leaved clump at a time. lileopsis ill plant a 3" long runner segment at a time. get the idea? its tedious but produces fast result. and i personally dont mind doing it. to me my tanks are a hobby i actively enjoy working with, not just an ornament i enjoy owning (think of it like any other art form, painting vs owning a painting).

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I grew a bunch of plants outside in a flat last summer and then brought them in and planted them in a tank in September. I ended up with a 1 foot by 2 foot mass of plants that I cut into about 2 in strips and planted in a larger tank. Worked great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts