The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have 20 long planted aquarium. Last week I had the inspiration to convert the top portion of the aquarium into a hydroponic system after previous success with a two and half gallon system. I setup a cheap 30 dollar uv grow light hung from the ceiling on a 8 hour timer. Didn't realize how bright it would be in my room and decided to figure out a way to shade the spread so I don't damage my eyesight future wise. My current shade design is 3 polyester fabric clothes gorilla taped to three sides of the light which are emitting the spread across my entire room. I plan to use an aluminum or gorilla tape on the interior to avoid a fire. Does this sound like a legitimate plan, or should I consider looking into other solutions.
Thanks,
Samuel

Hi Guys,
I have 20 long planted aquarium. Last week I had the inspiration to convert the top portion of the aquarium into a hydroponic system after previous success with a two and half gallon system. I setup a cheap 30 dollar uv grow light hung from the ceiling on a 8 hour timer. Didn't realize how bright it would be in my room and decided to figure out a way to shade the spread so I don't damage my eyesight future wise. My current shade design is 3 polyester fabric clothes gorilla taped to three sides of the light which are emitting the spread across my entire room. I plan to use an aluminum or gorilla tape on the interior to avoid a fire. Does this sound like a legitimate plan, or should I consider looking into other solutions.
Thanks,
Samuel
Purple Light World Lighting Violet

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
What type of UV grow light bulb did you get? Some types are not meant to be used this way and can be harmful due to the UV.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thanks, your link is to a 75 watt LED grow light and not an UV grow light, correct?

I wouldn't use any fabric or tape around the light to avoid the chance of the material catching fire.

What plants are you trying to grow?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spider plants, paella plants, and mostly indoor plants that are adaptable to a hydroponics system. The Led Grow light is quite bright, so I just need to figure out a solution to shade the front corners of the fixture so I don't damage my eyesight from overexposure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts