The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I threw this together last week. Freshwater 3g planted pico. Just wanted to share :flick: I've got a pygmy gourami, 4 neon tetras, and 1 small Nannostomus pencilfish. I HAD a beautiful actinic blue and red male double tail betta until he went carpet surfing sometime last night through a hairline opening on the top :icon_sad: But all the other fish are absolutely thriving and the plants are beginning to sprawl out. I'm pretty proud of it :tongue: Oh, there's also a 20g long mostly artificial plants and gravel, one live plant. Inside I've got a golden panchax killi, an orange platy, and an angel. The panchax was gonna stay in my pico but he harassed my neons way too much. Peaceful my a$$. The platy was too active for it and was gonna tear it up. What's left to do: I need to find some dwarf hairgrass at one of my lfs to complete the bed of my amano inspiration. Also pick up one or two pea puffers from my lfs. These puffers are feeding on flake (I watched them) and they are with other small fish like the ones in my pico and she said these ones are out of their fin nipping stage so fingers crossed.

My tank today 2/6/2013

Purple Aquarium decor Glass Aquatic plant Pet supply

My Nannostomus today 2/6/2013

Leaf Terrestrial plant Botany Plant stem Aquarium decor

My Pygmy Gourami today 2/6/2013

Purple Adaptation Soil Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal

My tank on 2/2/2013 before my stunning betta went carpet surfing :(

Aquatic plant Aquarium decor Glass Freshwater aquarium Pet supply

Pachypanchax playfairi killifish, harassed my neons too much, moved to the 20g

Cable Wire Fish Electrical wiring Electrical supply

The baby angel in the 20g

Organism Vertebrate Aquarium decor Marine biology Underwater

My orange platy that was moved to the 20g. It was too active for my pico and was gonna tear everything up and it was bothering the other fauna.

Underwater Organism Vertebrate Fish Fin

·
Registered
521 Posts
Looking good so far! Keep it up, and post more pics as it progresses.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
very very healthy plants! Would you consider smaller plants to help scale the tank better?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!! So here are some recent pics
Organism Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Pet supply Purple
Terrestrial plant Purple Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Herb
acitydweller, Yes, that's what I've been thinking. I'll be getting some smaller ones and a bunch of hairgrass seedlings to get a nice carpet soon. I'll try and get them at the same time I get my pea puffers and dwarf cory, maybe blood or ghost shrimp or african dwarf frog (definitely not clawed - lookup difference) too.
Here is a video i made of it.
http://youtu.be/ixewkoKRVeA

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks! Ugh lemme tell you, planting was a pain. This is my first freshwater tropical tank let alone planted. Every tutorial I've seen and read has told me to aquascape first, then plant with like an inch to half an inch of water, then flood it and cycle. My lfs told me to cycle it then plant it, which I did (bad idea). Planting in a pico without any water would be difficult, let alone filled with it. I also didn't have quite enough substrate to plant everything super deep so they were constantly uprooting. Basically I pushed everything in to it's proper depth, then poured rinsed fluval over the base. Don't rinse the substrate on initial setup for the fertilizers and nutrients etc. but any additional substrate once its running rinse unless you want it to get all muddy and cloudy. I now have everything anchored down pretty well. :wink:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ooh nice tank! I was about to plant my aquarium after it cycled, but then I read this thread. So what exactly is so bad about planting with water inside?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ooh nice tank! I was about to plant my aquarium after it cycled, but then I read this thread. So what exactly is so bad about planting with water inside?
It's just very difficult based on tank size and tools available. If it's a large tank that you can stick your arm in without it spilling over and you have deep enough substrate to just stick it in and it'll stay, then you should be good. But in a very small setup you need to use forceps and it's difficult to navigate and get things anchored and positioned where you want them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Acclimated :proud: The clown killi pair are hiding. When transferring the female jumped onto the floor from my net, the small dish was on the ground she only fell a few inches but flopped on the tile for a good few seconds before I finally grasped her after much trouble and got her back in the water, no adverse effects so far, no external injuries, but before I left the tank earlier she was wedged in some plant roots and not moving even when I tapped. Not good :/ She was swimming around actively before. The male is doing well though, both very shy. I'll know at around 1pm today (2/13/13) whether or not the female is okay. I hope so. Do fish normally wedge themselves in plants get stuck and die?

Malabar Pea Puffer Pair

Leaf Purple Botany Terrestrial plant Flowering plant
Organism Purple Leaf Violet Aquarium decor

Panda Guppy Female

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Purple Pet supply Fish supply

Panda Guppy Male

Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Purple Fish supply Pet supply

Fancy Baby Plecostomus

Purple Pet supply Aquarium decor Violet Lavender

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So after getting some free snails from the lfs, i dropped them in the tank and everything went nuts. The guppies were trying to eat them, My puffers ate like three or four and it's really cool to watch, and my pygmy gourami ate two and was actually going after them more than my puffers. Are pygmy gouramis snail eaters?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, tank will be half to three quarters drained, everything including fish left inside and taken home (10 min drive in styrofoam box - Minnesota Winters...). Deciding between two lights. A 12" Finnex FugeRay, or a UP Aqua UA-F17 6.69 Inch Flexible LED. I'm torn between the two and if I don't get any input I'll just have to choose. I like the look of the UP and it would look very stylish on my pico, but I'm worried about light output and whether or not it could support crytocyrene, hairgrass, (medium to high light) etc.

UP Aqua LED

http://www.marinedepot.com/UP_Aqua_..._Aquariums-UP_Aqua-AZ46447-FILTFILDFX-vi.html

12" FugeRay

Amazon.com: Finnex FugeRay Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights, 12-Inch: Pet Supplies

1 - 20 of 89 Posts