The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am new to planted tanks and wondering if anyone has experience with the planted+ 24/7.

Here's my problem

I am experiencing a lot of algae growth and seems to be multiple different kinds all of a sudden.

My tank is about 7 weeks old however not all plants have been in that long. I'd say about 5 weeks since fully planted.

I'm using eco complete substrate with a moderate amount of swords, anubias Java fern.

I started with just the diatomes which I understand is natural for a new tank. I now am getting much more algae.

I have taken a few actions which I am hoping will help. I added some otos, a handful of nerite and mystery snails, increased my co2 and add some flourish tabs. I had previously only been dosing flourish one after weekly water change and another time half way through the week. My though was maybe not enough root fertilization for the stem and lack of co2.

Now I'm thinking maybe the 24/7 is too much light for these low light plants. (again a plant novice).

I've read lowering light can help to get rid of algae... My question is if I cut back my light will it slow down the plants photosynthesis and allow for more algae? My plants are growing like crazy but so is the algae.

I've also read double dosing excel can rid the algae. My other question is can you do this treatment with a co2 injected tank. I've got my co2 as high as I think it can be. It's a very light green but not quite yellow on my drop checker.

All help is appreciated as always. I've taking on this endeavor of the planted tank strictly from knowledge gained from this forum.

Ps choice for the plants types is with the plan to make this a planted discus tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hi all I am new to planted tanks and wondering if anyone has experience with the planted+ 24/7.

Here's my problem

I am experiencing a lot of algae growth and seems to be multiple different kinds all of a sudden.

My tank is about 7 weeks old however not all plants have been in that long. I'd say about 5 weeks since fully planted.

I'm using eco complete substrate with a moderate amount of swords, anubias Java fern.

I started with just the diatomes which I understand is natural for a new tank. I now am getting much more algae.

I have taken a few actions which I am hoping will help. I added some otos, a handful of nerite and mystery snails, increased my co2 and add some flourish tabs. I had previously only been dosing flourish one after weekly water change and another time half way through the week. My though was maybe not enough root fertilization for the stem and lack of co2.

Now I'm thinking maybe the 24/7 is too much light for these low light plants. (again a plant novice).

I've read lowering light can help to get rid of algae... My question is if I cut back my light will it slow down the plants photosynthesis and allow for more algae? My plants are growing like crazy but so is the algae.

I've also read double dosing excel can rid the algae. My other question is can you do this treatment with a co2 injected tank. I've got my co2 as high as I think it can be. It's a very light green but not quite yellow on my drop checker.

All help is appreciated as always. I've taking on this endeavor of the planted tank strictly from knowledge gained from this forum.

Ps choice for the plants types is with the plan to make this a planted discus tank.
What size tank? Are you running the light on max, if so for how long? What kinds of algae do you have?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The plants which you have don't need overdosing of Co2 .
Cutback on the lights to 6hrs or less on max setting.
Use seachem flourish excel - they contain glut which is anti algae.
Check your phosphate levels, too much of it favors algae growth.
Make frequent water changes - atleast twice a week till you root out the algae prob.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Most new tanks turn into algae farms, because the light is either too strong or on to long initially and the bio-filter is too weak. It also sounds like your only dosing micro ferts which is what's found in the tabs and the Flourish. Those products are the same just in different form. With good light, co2 you need to dose N and P as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
From what you posted you have: good quality light, CO2- Excel and have the right substrate to be successful with plants. It looks like you are coming up short with your fertilization though. Algae is more opportunistic and is winning.

I went the multiple bottles of Seachem and tablet route. The end result was a soup of ferts, but not necessarily in the right amounts or ratios. I turned things around by going the PPS-pro fertilization route. It saved me money too. Basically, if you have the light, CO2 and substrate dialed in- you have to give them fertilizers in the right amount and ratios! https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro The PPS will work with both high and low tech systems.

PPS approach uses dry fertilizers that you mix in the proper rations- one bottle of macros (N,P,K) and one bottle of micros. This fertilization method relies on applying minimum amounts of ferts, in the proper rations, for what the plant will use that day.

Overall- keep your substrate, your lights (8 hours a day) and C02- Excel or injected. Add PPS Pro system. Also use Purigen in place of carbon. If your tank is long or deep, be sure to add a circulation pump for better nutrient distribution. Vacuum and change at least 30% water weekly, Following water changes, I am also adding Seachem 'Pristine. Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what you posted you have: good quality light, CO2- Excel and have the right substrate to be successful with plants. It looks like you are coming up short with your fertilization though. Algae is more opportunistic and is winning.

I went the multiple bottles of Seachem and tablet route. The end result was a soup of ferts, but not necessarily in the right amounts or ratios. I turned things around by going the PPS-pro fertilization route. It saved me money too. Basically, if you have the light, CO2 and substrate dialed in- you have to give them fertilizers in the right amount and ratios! https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro The PPS will work with both high and low tech systems.

PPS approach uses dry fertilizers that you mix in the proper rations- one bottle of macros (N,P,K) and one bottle of micros. This fertilization method relies on applying minimum amounts of ferts, in the proper rations, for what the plant will use that day.

Overall- keep your substrate, your lights (8 hours a day) and C02- Excel or injected. Add PPS Pro system. Also use Purigen in place of carbon. If your tank is long or deep, be sure to add a circulation pump for better nutrient distribution. Vacuum and change at least 30% water weekly, Following water changes, I am also adding Seachem 'Pristine. Good luck!

Thanks Steve that is very helpful.

What I ended up doing was double dosing the excel and cutting back my lights for a week or so.

I was a little worried as the following day of the double dosing my tank was quite cloudy. The next day it cleared up and could already see the algae started turning bright red. Now about a week later the algae is all but gone expect for some dark green/blafk spots on plants leaves.

I also added a nano pump as well which I think made a huge difference having that added flow.

I used purigen when I first started my tank. I had a lot of tannins in the water. Wow what a product. Within 24 hours tank was crystal clear. I haven't used since but I did fill one of my media baskets with matrix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.