The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 130-gallon planted tank about 5 feet wide (left to right), 2 feet deep (front to back) and 2 feet high (top to bottom). It has 3 AI Prime FW LED lights. I initially had the lights on for five to six hours at day at 60%. Plants did ok but were not prospering. On the AI site, there is only one pre-set schedule for plants which I have tried for the last month. The plants I have (Italian val, drawf anubias (Anubias barteri nana petite), lutea (Cryptocoryne lutea) and Bronze Wendth (Cryptocoryne wendtti v. Tropica) do not seem to be doing well with the increased lighting either. Any lighting suggestions would be much appreciated. I do not have a CO2 cartridge but do add low doses of Seachem Excel and Advance. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I have a 130-gallon planted tank about 5 feet wide (left to right), 2 feet deep (front to back) and 2 feet high (top to bottom). It has 3 AI Prime FW LED lights. I initially had the lights on for five to six hours at day at 60%. Plants did ok but were not prospering. On the AI site, there is only one pre-set schedule for plants which I have tried for the last month. The plants I have (Italian val, drawf anubias (Anubias barteri nana petite), lutea (Cryptocoryne lutea) and Bronze Wendth (Cryptocoryne wendtti v. Tropica) do not seem to be doing well with the increased lighting either. Any lighting suggestions would be much appreciated. I do not have a CO2 cartridge but do add low doses of Seachem Excel and Advance. Thanks!
It doesn't sound like you are adding much fertilizer. Seachem Flourish has almost no nitrogen content. Its mostly micro fertilizer which plants need, but its not everything plants need. Basically flourish is for tanks where you have a LOT of fish, feed heavy, and have almost no plants. If this describes your tank, then its fine if you are following the dosage instructions. But if you have say, little to no fish in this tank currently, then that would be why your plants are dying. Or if you have a lot of plants, that would also be an indication of why your plants are not doing well.

Instead I would forget about the flourish and instead buy a proper all in one fertilizer solution. I like Nicolg ThriveC for low tech tanks and have been using it for years now with good success.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't sound like you are adding much fertilizer. Seachem Flourish has almost no nitrogen content. Its mostly micro fertilizer which plants need, but its not everything plants need. Basically flourish is for tanks where you have a LOT of fish, feed heavy, and have almost no plants. If this describes your tank, then its fine if you are following the dosage instructions. But if you have say, little to no fish in this tank currently, then that would be why your plants are dying. Or if you have a lot of plants, that would also be an indication of why your plants are not doing well.

Instead I would forget about the flourish and instead buy a proper all in one fertilizer solution. I like Nicolg ThriveC for low tech tanks and have been using it for years now with good success.
Thanks for the advice. I will look for the Nicolg Thrive C if you still recommend it after reading my message.
My tank does have a good number of fish: 5 electric blue acara, 5 angels, 5 panda garas, 5 cory cats, four black neons, and four small plecos. I feed twice a day with flakes or pellets in AM and frozen in PM. It is not heavy with plants but I would like more. I change 10 to 15 gallons of water daily using RO/DI filtered water.
But what about the lighting? For example, before changing the lighting schedule the val was doing well (spreading/dark green, tall) and now seems to be dissolving.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will look for the Nicolg Thrive C if you still recommend it after reading my message.
My tank does have a good number of fish: 5 electric blue acara, 5 angels, 5 panda garas, 5 cory cats, four black neons, and four small plecos. I feed twice a day with flakes or pellets in AM and frozen in PM. It is not heavy with plants but I would like more. I change 10 to 15 gallons of water daily using RO/DI filtered water.
But what about the lighting? For example, before changing the lighting schedule the val was doing well (spreading/dark green, tall) and now seems to be dissolving.
I am lstill earning but courious as to why you do water changes of 10-15 gallons daily? I do one 50% water change every Saturday.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Are you using the glut containing Excel?
Vals are reported sensitive to it though apparently can be acclimated to it.
Not saying it's the val issue you have now but if you upped the Excel it is possible.
W/out CO2 sometimes OK is the best..

·
Registered
754 Posts
Excel helps control algae but has almost no value as a co2 additive. My val tolerates it but it doesn't do much (I used it when i had a bit of bba forming). root tabs will help the vals.
-
As a low tech tank given the plants you have you should expect slow growth. Of the plants you listed vals should be the fastest growing but it will take them several months (if they like your water). After a couple of months you should see at least a few runners and they should be at least 2 to 4 feet tall.
-
You should not be disappointed if you only get one or two leaves from the anubia a month - the crypts will do ok but again be slow growing. Without co2 i would not add too much light - i run my lights (fluval 3.0) 7 hours and for the most part the plants are slow growing. A plant you could try that might grow a little faster is Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus another is mexican oak. Both of these plants should grow at reasonable rate in a low tech tank but will require trimming as needed.
Another option are dwarf lilies or aponogeton boivinianus or aponogeton crispus

I do not have a CO2 cartridge but do add low doses of Seachem Excel and Advance. Thanks!

·
Banned
628 Posts
Lighting is a matter of discernment. You have to bracket it in. Start out too bright then set it to too dim. Then go a little less too bright and a little less too dim until you're close to being right. You'll know what's too bright or too dim by how the algae and the plants respond. I know this doesn't make sense which is why I use the word discernment. You can use a PAR meter to be more scientific about it but the algae and the plants are the best indicators.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you using the glut containing Excel?
Vals are reported sensitive to it though apparently can be acclimated to it.
Not saying it's the val issue you have now but if you upped the Excel it is possible.
W/out CO2 sometimes OK is the best..
I checked the bottle and the Excel contains 2.0% polycycloglutaracetal that I assume is "glut". I use such a low dose I dont think it is the Excel.
Since writing the initial post, I have another suspicion regarding the cause of my recent plant problem: Hydrogen peroxide. I was having a significant cyanobacteria infestation. I tried several recommendations for killing it (physical removal, no light, reduce feeding, increase water movement, etc) without much success. Resorted to HO to treat the cyanobacteria. It took three treatments over three weeks but I think the cyanobacteria is mostly gone. Per what I viewed online, the HO was not going to affect my plants. However, could that be the cause for the plants doing poorly? If so, will they recover? Is there something I should do to help the plants? Thanks for all your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.