The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some postings so I can view pics from others. I am returning to the hobby after about 10-15 years. I will be setting up a new 10 Gallon (standard tank / standard dimensions). Substrate will be Eco-Complete in the back ground and Carib Sea Super Natural Moonlight Sand for front (with root tabs for nutrients). For lighting ... I am looking into either a
Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CRV Aquarium LED Light or one of the Fluval Planted LED's. Filter will either be an
AquaClear Power Filter Filter with a pre filter sponge on intake tube so no babies / shrimp etc gets sucked up or smaller canister (ZooMed). 100 watt heater. Beginner plants, Java Moss, Java Fern, attached to wood, possibly nana coffeola, Amazon Swords, and then some dwarf swords or dwarf sagg, for foreground in sand, Maybe some frogbit for top. My questions for this post ...

As far wood what are some hardy woods that will not rot? (I have heard some driftwoods have a tendency to rot) ... I like the look of manzanita but it it hardy? Any other woods recommended for me to look at? Also concerning wood, I will be getting some natural Cholla for possible babies (shrimps and fish) to hide among.

How does this look and please answer concerning wood choices.

Thanks for responding,

DocJLW

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don’t have any wood recommendation other than I’ve never heard of any rotting. I have three different driftwood in different tanks and they all do fine.

All your selections sound quite good. I too prefer and enjoy eco-complete over sand. Sounds like you’ll have a pretty stable system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.