The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a planted tank and have a question about plants on mats. I purchased some Dwarf Hairgrass and Baby Tears on mats. My problem is getting them "planted", they are floating, so I have weighted them down with small rocks. I didn't expect this to happen so I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't know if this is correct, but I will carefully cut away the mat material with a razor blade and separate the plants. Then, I just plant them spread out across the area to where I want it to carpet. I tried leaving the mats together in the past and found it wouldn't spread much and some parts would just die off. I believe the mats are just used to grow the plants emersed and make things easier to sell, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my hubby came up with a brilliant idea! I used a few tiny fish line weights to keep the plants down. I also cut away as much of the mat as I could. Hope this works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried burying the mats, but they just kept floating up. Especially when the plants started pearling with air bubbles. Maybe mats work great in some situations, but I had a hard time with them in a nano.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.