The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to planted tanks. My 20g tank currently has a co2 tank and some pretty decent light. But my plants seem to be dying and browning and its accelerating. Nitrate,PH and amonia seem fine. What could this deficency be?

Figuring it must be a deficency of something and serious at this point I bought some Seachem Flourish sense im unsure which deficiency it is.
So what do I do?
How do I fix this? Are these plants all doomed?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Plants

Soul...

I can only coach you from a low tech standpoint. CO2 really isn't needed to grow plants. If you have a couple of watts of 6500 K light per gallon of tank volume, faithfully change half the water in your tank weekly and dose a good organic fertilizer, that's all you need. If you go beyond these basics, I think you leave little room for error.

B

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i started some flourish fert dousing today, Im just a little afraid that if that doesnt fix the problem ill have a ton of dead plants by the end of the week

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If you post the lighting and lighting period it will help too.

Not sure what plant that is in the photo that is looking so pale. Big box pet stores sell more non aquatic plants than aquatic ones and I hear even fish stores do the same. Hope the plants you bought are able to live underwater!

If you have CO2 on the tank I am guessing you don't just have the stock T8 bulb on the tank. You may have loads of light and lots of CO2 but if the plants aren't getting fed the basics they cannot grow well and the tank will be filled with algae.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
x2 t5ho 24 watts its going for about 10 hours or so (sometimes much more cuz im at work)

Thats some sort of fern and kyoto grass. The Kyoto grass is outright dying now. The other is a wisteria , which in the whole tank are surviving the best but now starting to take a hit, in the tip of their leaves.

As far as the basics, would a weekly douse of Flourish and maybe Excel work?
Because those were the two things that i know for sure i haven't been doing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The really pale plant looks like what pet co sells as peacock fern and I read somewhere that it is not a true aquatic plant??? If that's what it is, mine didn't grow well either. It died after a while. Your wysteria looks happy. I'm new so I may not be right but there's my two cents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wisteria there is also getting brown things at the tip. All the wisteria in the tank is. Although i do think peacock ferns arent really aquatic and im close to taking them out.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
That is a lot of light! If you can disable one bulb and reduce the lighting period to 8 hours it would be better. Get a timer, they work great. Or you can raise the lights by hanging or putting feet on the fixture or even put a layer or two of plain fiberglass window screen between the tank and the lights.

Suspect the plants are hungry for the complete set of fertilizers. Excel is a carbon source and you are already injecting CO2, right? It can help get rid of some kinds of nuisance algae but not all but isn't as good a carbon source as CO2. Flourish has micro nutrients and potassium but lacks nitrate and phosphates. In dimly lit tanks with lots of fish there may be enough nitrate and phosphate for the plants but it is likely your plants would do better with some added. See the sticky in the Water and Fertilizer forum for info.

You might as well remove that 'grass' and fern as they aren't aquatic and are going down hill fast. You can cut the wisteria and replant the top for more plants. It is very pretty and grows fast. I like to see the pretty rosettes of leaves on top and don't like letting it grow to the surface.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just took out the ferns and the grass ill go during the week and get some more real aquatic plants. My 10g is also new and growing some glossostigma and dwarf hairgrass (oddly enough one week later that glosso is starting to look good and happy, just saw a few extra roots) I might transfer some dwarf hairgrass in the future. And yeah the Wisteria is now almost the only plant in there , i replanted 2 and 1 started growing in like a week. I love that plant, love how the leave changes and overall just looks like a very happy plant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.