The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I dont know why ,but My 10 gallon planted tank has been doing great. Only problem is my hardness its high i mean realy high. For starters I have a mixture of supplemental subtrate with gravel and gravel that has crush coral. To top it off I live in Texas all I have in there right now is a couple of female bettas a few cory cats 1 rubber lip pleco a few ghost shrimp. About 19 baby Mystery Snails (just had them hatch a few weeks ago almost a month now).Is there anything any one can suggest. I mean my plants have been doing so well I dont want them to Die. I mean I come Home every day and i See new leaves (petals) and there a nice green looking color. My snails do go to town on the plants but they seem to be growing faster than they can eat?I do use a mixture of Florish and Plant grow( for got the name of product). Is there anything eales I can do besides CO2 to make this tank an even happier one.
Plant list
Moss balls
Anacharis
Lemon bacopa, Bacopa caroliniana
Hornwort
Watersprite
and a few more one was labels as Perpermint I didn't know if that was the name
and I bout some bulbs assortited

I also have several otheres of unkown status like i dont know what they are??? I'v look for them on the net but can't seem to find them

Is there any simple to grow plants I can should my eye out for

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The crushed coral is why Your water is so Hard. Getting rid of that would be a Great start.

Sorry, but I am going to need an english translation for that......:tongue:

HTH
lol my bad i ment is there anything I should be on the look out for. Oh yeah and im going to be getting the Substrate that was recomended to me by a pet shop. Its black and its supossed to have all these good Minerals. Is it a good idea to do that.OH OH and I leave my lights on for about 12 hours a day is that ok or is it to much. Also my boss told me u can make a Co2 your self with Yeast? Can you? im not sure i just want to know is there any types of risk involved ( I have realy bad luck )

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
I think you should start at the basics and get reading that is the only way you will get allot of the information that you might need to start a planted tank.
Rex Grigg has a great web site that tells 99.9% about planted tanks that will get you started. Just click on his name in this post and start reading.

1st- Crushed coral needs out of there but sounds like it is being taken care of.
2nd- Lighting for that 10 gal how much you got? Cheap bulbs that came with the tank is not going to cut it.
3rd- Co2 it is easy to make DIY system for that tank since it is small 2L, nipple, hose and air stone will work. Do a search on the forum for DIY Co2 or google.
4th- Ferts for the tank sounds like you have that covered but the best and cheaper ferts is dry which can also be bought now from Rex at very good prices and they last a long time.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
lol my bad i ment is there anything I should be on the look out for. Oh yeah and im going to be getting the Substrate that was recomended to me by a pet shop. Its black and its supossed to have all these good Minerals. Is it a good idea to do that.OH OH and I leave my lights on for about 12 hours a day is that ok or is it to much. Also my boss told me u can make a Co2 your self with Yeast? Can you? im not sure i just want to know is there any types of risk involved ( I have realy bad luck )
The black stuff is probably eco complete... IF you can Call Jeff or Mike at ADG and get some ADA Aquasoil, its probably the thing you should get. (Search for Mike senske or jeff senske and you should be able to find them...)

2nd- Lighting for that 10 gal how much you got? Cheap bulbs that came with the tank is not going to cut it.
Your standard light fixture on your 10g will cut it, but make sure the bulb is between 5000k and 10000K so the plants can use the light;) I have a 10g with the stock light and have no problem growing most plants...

Oh yeah, and if you want to turn back... do it now or never:D

WELCOME!!

-Andrew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah im going to start a slow change this weekend i started tanking most of the gravel out and slowly doing water changes. I dont wanna freak the fish

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
IME You might want to do your water changes every day while you change out the substrate. There can be some nasty stuff in there that you are uncovering.
What might be better is a temp move to a large rubbermaid container while you do the substrate swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IME You might want to do your water changes every day while you change out the substrate. There can be some nasty stuff in there that you are uncovering.
What might be better is a temp move to a large rubbermaid container while you do the substrate swap.
Sounds good, but like just move it to like just any container

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Sorry I have a couple that I originally bought when I swapped out my 55, and now store my Misc parts so I know they are clean, and hasn't been used for anything else.

I filled the container 1/2 with tank water, and dropped in an airstone. If you house is cold (I doubt it is in Texas) you could put your heaters in. Don't forget to let the heater soak before plugging in so the temp equalizes.

HTH
Walter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts