The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, are you interested in a plant swap? I ran a "frag" swap for saltwater stuff a few months back and was able to get my sponsors to donate some freebies, I can probably get them to do the same for planted goodies.

I also cleared out a lot of space at the store so there'll be more room for people :)

Please chime in with ideas and format. I was thinking about finding some local super plant enthusiast (anyone in mind?) who focuses on propagating plants either through tissue culturing or more common methods as a "lead" supplier, then getting people to register to attend.

Anthony

·
Registered
762 Posts
I don't see why you would need a "lead" supplier... for the western MA one, we just had people post what they had and what they wanted, and formed trades like that. I thought it worked out well, but doesn't mean it couldn't be done better.

When were you thinking? I'd be interested if for no other reason than a chance to meet up with fellow hobbyists...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason for a "lead" supplier, is to promote one person's efforts above others because they are doing something extraordinary. Anyone can just trim their plants and put it in a bag and bring it to the swap, but this person would be doing something more special, such as tissue culturing or some larger operation. They can also talk about what they do and teach others. Hopefully that makes sense

It's not a necessity but I think it's nice to highlight what people do to propagate things instead of collecting it from the wild. Maybe it's less of an issue since we're talking plants but in the saltwater world frag propagation is a big thing.

What you're suggesting seems like something entirely different from a swap. You just end up bringing stuff for a targeted person, swap, and you're sort of done. You could do that in a parking lot anywhere with just the person you're trading with. You lose the sense of surprise. To me, this sort of takes away from the point of having a swap.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yea, two different ideas. I'd still be interested in what you're talking about. The only big plant propagator I know of in the area is Amanda Wenger, but she's in southern CT... don't know if she'd come all the way.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm sure we'd also have two people from Rhode Island interested... they might be a bit too busy at the moment to notice this thread.

Did you have a date range in mind?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Im always down for a plant swap, and i know a few other local RIs that would be as well. But i think H4N would be a great guy for this, ive gotten many things from him and its always awesome quality. Id be interested in if anyone local does tissue culture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts