1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have two tanks that i need plants for:
180g tanganyikan tank
ph over 8, very hard water
at the moment, lighting is 2 4ft t8 bulbs (6800k) but i think i will upgrade it later down the track

24" tall 29g
ph 6, soft water
2 24w pc lighting (6800k/10000k)
no co2

i was just wondering what plants would be suitable? both have inert substrates and no co2, so low light plants would be best.
Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ok, is the tanganyikan tank going to be housing larger cichlids? I'm going to go on the assumption that you're going to go that way and throw out Anubias. You can do some good driftwood work and put in some Anubias and be off and running. Plus the Anubias won't require a lighting upgrade anytime soon. This durable plant can easily withstand a pH of 8 and if you're going to have rough and tumble fish in this aquarium it could be your best bet of having a pleasing scape without killing a lot of plants.

On the tall i would go with bulb plants because they have a tendency to "stretch" in low light environments and end up looking really pretty if and when they reach the surface. Simple sp. could be anything from banana plants (done correctly, not floating around in your tank), lotus sp., and even a madagascar lace does great in low light. Also, with the M. lace, which is beautiful, if the substrate is too rich the plant will constantly turn over leaves because it prefers a substrate close to inert. Its perfect for you.

Just my 2 cents though.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My 125g Tangy tank has anubias, Aponogeton ulvaceus, dwarf sag, Hygrophyla corymbosa "angustifolia" , java fern, windelov, and some mystery crypts that came with a used tank I bought a few years ago. I dose Excel daily, helps with the algae. PFS for substrate, I do use root medic NPK root tabs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help this far. i don't want the tang tank to be planted very heavily, so i may just go anubias on the rockwork, vals (if they will grow?) in the corners and the odd java fern.

i am thinking crypts maybe for the tall aswell. would they grow? i can dose ferts and use dupla laterite balls.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts