The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am posting this because I am looking to get some plants for my tank.
I have a 55 gallon tank with a cascade 1000, eco complete with gravel on top, I just bought osmocote so I am going to start dosing that soon and shoplights with 2-32w bulbs in there.

I currently have kleiner bar sword in back left corner, A lot of saggi and a few corkscrew val along the back wall, tiger lotus in the middle of back wall, nothing in right corner (which is what I am looking for), I have java ferns toward the left side as a mid ground plant but I have driftwood and slate pieces also... I was looking for a foreground plant in which I currently have a tiny bit of micro sword which I like so I might stick to that.

I know I want anubias nanas petite to stick onto driftwood but I was looking at my back right corner which is EMPTY. lol! I wanted something dark colored to change it up. I was considering a crypt wendtii brown but I was reading that it doesnt grow really tall and what I wanted is a plant that is going to be tall and will give a lot of leaves so it will be thick.

any suggestions I will appreciate.

Thank you
Bradley

Here are some pics of my tank... I know they aren't so good as I took them with my phone.
Picture of entire tank

Left side which you can see the Kleiner bar sword, saggi, java fern, hygrophilia angustifolia... on top of the kleiner you can see water sprite that was melted off and I have left it there to get some more light. the micro sword seems to have gone missing...

Right side which has the DW with java moss and peacock moss which the peacock was a bit brown when I bought it and it's grown a bit but still lots of brown, I think its a lily but I bought it as a tiger lotus, a small corkscrew val, more saggi, bacopa and a small water sprite.

I just tested parameters and 0 ammo, 0 ntrate, 0 nitrite, 7.6 ph

·
Registered
382 Posts
hygrophila polysperma, watersprite, hygrophila difformis are all easy to grow and they grow fast too.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Crypt. walkeri (Lutea) would fit the bill. Mine grow about 20" tall. This seems to be about as tall as they are going to grow now that the original plant is a year and a half old. It has held this height for close to a year without getting taller.

It will take some time to get there, but other large crypts (crispatula, etc.) will likely be too tall.

Most Crypts will eventually form a very dense stand and don't require trimming as often as stem plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts