The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking for opinions here.. I have an empty spot on the back right between my ludwiga and Rotola HRA... what do you guys suggest?

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Candidates:
1. Large leafed plants: Echinodorus, larger crypts, Nymphoides hydrophylla "Taiwan"... I like crinum but they are gigantic.
2. Fine leafed plants: Rotala wallichii variants, Myriophyllum, Proserpinaca palustris, Pogostemon erectus...
3. Linear leafed plants: Valisneria, Eleocharis vivipara..these look good with some flow.

Get green plant. They are usually pretty easy and contrast well with red ludwigia and R. "H'ra".
Get epiphyte plants like anubias and buce for the wood. Some moss would be nice too.
I would get some other non-green midground plants like Crypt "albida brown" or AR mini/variegated etc.
Hydrocotyle tripartita cushion in front of crypts would look pretty cute

I am assuming that you have high N in water column because..your H'ra is not red.
Some plants are more likely to stunt or not turn red under high N content in water column.
R. rotundifolia is one of the plants that even when you blast it with very high light, still just refuses to turn very red under high N.
(You might wanna replace it if you cannot reduce N)

Also you have seiryu stones in your tank which raises KH significantly. So better to avoid super softwater plants like syngonanthus species.
Choose plants accordingly to your water parameters and tank environments. Most aquatic plants can grow very well in this condition tho.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What size is the tank and is it high-tech or low tech - given that your h'ra looks green and should be red i can't tell.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes its co2 and 200L. I was dosing with seachem nitrogen phosphate excel and flurish but stopped all that and started APT compete. Hoping the hra will turn red. My nitrite and nitrate are zero ppm. I should be getting chihiros wrgb 2 hoping red will come out more. Really want my hra to get red

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes its co2 and 200L. I was dosing with seachem nitrogen phosphate excel and flurish but stopped all that and started APT compete. Hoping the hra will turn red. My nitrite and nitrate are zero ppm. I should be getting chihiros wrgb 2 hoping red will come out more. Really want my hra to get red
I find that aggressive trimming accelerates turning red. Might be blowing N storage or something I dunno.
Hungry plants like ludwigia might not like it but looks like you are on right track. GL!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm running mine with a wrgb2 - it does best with high light and a bit of iron dosing will help.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking forward to getting my WRGB2...

Looking for something that will go in the back between the Ludwiga and Hra.. Something probably green to be between two reds.. Something not super fast growing like the hra and ludwiga as those are a headache but something with bright green.. Oh and something my amanos / shrimps wont eat!

·
Registered
9 fancy guppies, 2 mystery snails, 2 nerite snails, & 10 cherry barbs in a 10G tank!
111 Posts
Water wisteria, for sure!!! You'll have an endless supply of it after propogating it and I started out with 4 bunches and now my whole back corner of my tank is a forest of water wisteria!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really like Alternanthera Reineckii but read that shrimps especially amanos eat them??

Was thinking to get rid of the one on the far right also.. dont really like it

Really like Alternanthera Reineckii but read that shrimps especially amanos eat them??
Anyone has experience in this?

·
Registered
9 fancy guppies, 2 mystery snails, 2 nerite snails, & 10 cherry barbs in a 10G tank!
111 Posts
Water wisteria, anacharis, pennywort, moneywort, dwarf hairgrass, dwarf sag., water sprite

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thinking of getting rid of the middle plant as it grows tooooo fast. I trim 50% of it every week and it grows to the top when the trim is due.. preferably a red one to remain in sync with green red green red green red

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
How are you testing? Your nitrate should not be at zero.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its now between 10 and 20ppm

Seems to get hra red is to keep trimming it? Tomorrow I get y Chihiros wrgb2 so hoping red comes out more...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts