The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large aquarium, and have the choice of many flourescent bulbs. I have two Floura tubes that are plant specific, but I already know that you need to supplement the light with more white light to make the aquarium more balanced in look. My question is: how effective are plant specific bulbs? Do they really work, or am I better with bright high lux white bulbs and go from there. I will note that my plants seem to do better with the white, high lux bulbs rather than the plant bulbs, but I can always add more strips, so if they are any good, let me know. I do find them dull and very yellow heavy and low in the lux reading. But I am not a plant.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I wish I had a definite answer for ya, but I dont. I think most people dont like em because thier color is usually yellow or orange or pink. I have found the color of the Lightning Rod T6 Aqua-Flora Plus to be pretty good, a purpish-blue color, almost actinic like. Since I run multiple bulbs I usually include 1 plant specific bulb and 3 full spectrum daylight like bulbs. I did a quick test one day, swapping out all bulbs for plant bulbs then all bulbs 6500K daylight, and I didnt really notice much a difference with pearling. If anything the mix was giving me more pearling. But it was just a breif test, not scientific by any means.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My point is this: I know if you use multiple bulbs you can include one, or two, but if you are running a plant tank, and we are, can you use say 50% plant specific bulbs and get better results? I took out all my Flora tubes and replaced them with high LUX Lifeglows and I seem to get better results (more bubbles due to photosynthesis). I can have 6 tubes, and I will get there, but with more tubes I can have higher variety, and I am asking simply if it is really worth it or just a marketing gimmick.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Depends. Plant bulbs arent all the same so unless someone has tested all of them thouroghly I dont know. If you get more pearling not using them then by all means dont. I dont think its necesarily a gimmick for the most part, or they would simply use cheap regular bulbs and call them something else, not entirely different bulbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.