The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an open top pleco tank on the floor of my home office (fish room :wink:). I would like to put a plant in there that I could grow out the top and maybe produce a flower.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Echinodorus Martii is a sword that produces flower as do many others. Limnophila Aromatica also prododuces flower. A lot of stems plants can be grown emersed and produce flowers when are in emersed form. The same can be said with swords. What tyoe of tank do you have high light, low light ect.? Then we could better recommend a plant for you

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now it is just ambient light, no co2 injection. The tank is next to a bank of 4 tanks each running t5HO lighting units. I have a bunch of floaters and Brazilian pennywort that is in the tank that are doing well.

My plan is to put a hanging pendent over the tank if additional light is needed, but I don't want to turn this into a high tech setup.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yes you should go with the swords for sure they have much lower light requirments for good growth. Ambient lighting however will not be enough to keep them alive you will have to add some other source of lighting. I wold go with something around 1-1.5 watts per gallon just dont use T-5 lighting to do this. I would say PC's or T-8 lighting. You can get away with more wpg if you use T-8s as they are not as intense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts