The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What is my amazon sword doing? looks like a bud... (yes i read the thread about this topic posted like...yesterday) does this mean it will grow into one of those long stringy runners?

2. What is with these water sprite roots? They don't look like the type of roots you should bury. They look like they want to attach to something. What do you think I should try to do with them, Plant them? or try to get them to attach to drift wood?(or both? bury some and tie some down and see which ones do best?)

3. What type of crypt is this? I bought it in a 6 pack of"assorted crypts" and naturally i get 6 of the same kind (figures). I've tried looking it up and I just cant tell, some of them look the same to me.

4. What is this thing and why is it dying? I bought it as 'Giant hygro' it is stiff as a board, it doesn't look like it belongs submersed, and the leaves have been turning yellow and falling off one by one since i put it a month ago as if its drowning.

thanks for any answers

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
#1 The sword is sending out a flower stem. If it gets out of water you will get some flowers and plantlets. If it stays underwater the buds might not open up but you will get plantlets.

#2 Water sprite forms new plants on the fronds, that is what it is doing here. Pull the old frond off the plant and pull off the babies, the old frond is nearly gone already. I think this stuff floats or is planted. They grow so fast attaching them to wood would be frustrating.

#3 Very cool! Guess you do have 2 varieties after all. My C. wendtii of whatever variety, bronze or brown, has never done that. Some red plants go green if the light isn't right, perhaps this particular crypt would grow bronze if it had more light?

#4 Do I see flower stems? This doesn't look like the emersed H. c. angustifolia I had. My plant's aerial leaves were furry, much shorter and not so green. Interesting. Maybe the grower had it in more humidity or just under water or something. I bet it is just adjusting to your tank. There are 'mobile' nutrients though, are you dosing the tank? Some plants will lose lower leaves not just from age or shading, the plant can move whatever nutrient it is to the growing points to keep the plant alive during hard times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.