The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started up a tank and after a little over one week, one of my plants started turning yellow. I made some adjustments to the water when it started turning and it did not bounce back. I think that I did not have adequate lighting for the plant. I was just wondering how to tell if it is dead, or is there still time to save it? I posted pics of it after I planted it, and after it turned. Plant date was October 29th and it started turning on November 2nd. Has not gotten any better.
Water Plant Flower Liquid Azure
Plant Natural environment Organism Water Aquatic plant
Azure Liquid Organism Water Art

· Registered
1,328 Posts
It looks dead, but sometimes they melt when put in a new environment. Keep an eye on it for a few days and see if any new growth comes out. I can't really tell what kind of plant it is. Get all the dead off and out of the tank now, and wait and see.

· Premium Member
So many tanks...
699 Posts
I can see there is moss there too. Was the plant that "died" moss? looks like it was likely some hair grass or something like that. If it was, those tend to need more everything than say... well, moss. Anubias and java ferns are good for lower light tanks, or for tanks that just have the lights that come in hooded tank sets for example. carpeting plants tend to need added nutrients, strong light, and personally, I recommend a matured tank for those types of plants for those that are not well versed in aquariums.

But we've all done it. It is the hardest part of aquariums, so you're one step closer to being an expert ;). Well, other than when everything is sick in your tank and you loose a large amount of your live stock. Which is why it's good to be picky when you buy fish in the future once your tank is ready for them.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure myself what it is, but I think it was Ludwigia Glandulosa, which I read about and yes, it requires alot more light than I have and more specific nutrients than I was prepared for. It was sold to me by the store that was helping me get started (who sold me the light and the nutrients in the first place), essentially setting me up to fail. I just wanted to know if I should remove it, or if there is still hope for it. After reading the responses, I will be removing it. There is no longer any green on it and I'm still not sure if it is dead or not. Any more advice is much appreciated. I do also have Java moss and anubias that is doing very well and my fish love it.

I removed the plant from the aquarium and it has a couple of very small pieces that still have a bit of green and red on them. I put them in a small jar with a growth light over them. There may still be hope. I not really sure what else to do to keep them alive and help them to grow. I used some of my tank water in the jar. Please let me know of any other suggestions.
Ingredient Fluid Cuisine Liquid Dish
Automotive tire Fluid Tread Rim Automotive wheel system

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of nutrients are you dosing? Also, if you want to grow plants well in low tech might want to try a soil based substrate such as Landen aquasoil found on Amazon.
I was using seachem flourish. I have since applied some Thrive root tabs under the substrate. When I set up my aquarium I got sand and gravel for the substrate.

· Registered
84 Posts
I was using seachem flourish. I have since applied some Thrive root tabs under the substrate. When I set up my aquarium I got sand and gravel for the substrate.
You might want to compare the ingredients in Seachem Flourish with complete fertilizers like Thrive C or Aquarium Co-op's Easy Green (especially nitrogen, potassium, and potash).

· Premium Member
238 Posts
I use flourish sometimes as well. But only as a supplement to my micro dosing. It doesn’t contain much at all of the necessary macro nutrients in nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous. As stated above there are other all in one complete fertilizers that do have all the necessary nutrients.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use flourish sometimes as well. But only as a supplement to my micro dosing. It doesn’t contain much at all of the necessary macro nutrients in nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous. As stated above there are other all in one complete fertilizers that do have all the necessary nutrients.
Thank you. I will look into a different fertilizer.

· Registered
79 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that is one dead plant. if there's any green on it, it's because that leaf is the last to die, not first to live.

Delicate plants in an un-cycled tank melt due to the presence of ammonia. And if it was Ludwigia glandulosa, Tropica says it requires CO2 to grow well.

Take your time, and enjoy the journey. Let the tank cycle by following trends in the NH4 concentrations, and change 20% to 50% water weekly. If you're going to plant, select easy to grow, cheap plants. You can get fancy with Ludwigia glandulosa after you dialed in all the variables.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that is one dead plant. if there's any green on it, it's because that leaf is the last to die, not first to live.

Delicate plants in an un-cycled tank melt due to the presence of ammonia. And if it was Ludwigia glandulosa, Tropica says it requires CO2 to grow well.

Take your time, and enjoy the journey. Let the tank cycle by following trends in the NH4 concentrations, and change 20% to 50% water weekly. If you're going to plant, select easy to grow, cheap plants. You can get fancy with Ludwigia glandulosa after you dialed in all the variables.
Thank you. I realized pretty quickly that I was sold a plant that I was not ready for, and the people at the pet store I bought it from should have known better. It has since been taken care of. After much research I have learned more as well, and i will not be purchasing plants that require alot of light or CO2 from now on. I am switching to Thrive all in one fertilizer for low tech aquariums (without CO2). My anubias and Java moss are doing well. Thank you for your input as it is much appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts