The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am to the point where I have 90% of my equipment ready for my tank. I am now just doing the proper planning for plants. I am just making sure these plants will work together, I won't end up using all of them most likely.

I will have about 2.8wpg in a 36g+20g tank.

I used MGOCPM for my base layer and then capped it wit fluorite.

These are the plants that I so far would love to use.
I apologize I do not have common names as I am using tropica website to find my plants.

Hemianthus callitrichoides Cuba''
Vesicularia ferriei
Ludwigia glandulosa
Rotala wallichii
Hygrophila corymbosa Compact''
Limnophila aquatica
Echinodorus quadricostatus
Aponogeton crispus red

Again, I am sorry for the latin names, I don't know if this will work but I'll link my favourites list from tropica. At Least this way you can see the plant profile.

http://www.tropica.com/Favorite-List.aspx

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will this mix of plants work, or will I be running into algae problems for having too many slow growers or will some plants be cooked due to too much light or some not get enough light etc?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just looked them up, they seem like great plants, stay away from red plants. They tend to be more difficult to keep. And start with some sort of stem from the start, I like Asian ambulia. They suck up all the nutrients in the beginning to help w algae. If you're going to use hc and don't want to deal w up rooting. Do a dry start method, I do this with all my hc tanks, it just takes a couple of months.

If you're worried about algae, it doesn't matter what plants you have, once you start your tank you have to monitor how much fert co2 and light you keep up on the tank to balance the system.

It's better to have lower req lighting plants since you can shade them with taller plants.

Everything comes down to lighting, co2, and ferts, and until you find out whats going into the tank and what method of dozing, co2 ect. It's hard to determine how it'll turn out

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just looked them up, they seem like great plants, stay away from red plants. They tend to be more difficult to keep. And start with some sort of stem from the start, I like Asian ambulia. They suck up all the nutrients in the beginning to help w algae. If you're going to use hc and don't want to deal w up rooting. Do a dry start method, I do this with all my hc tanks, it just takes a couple of months.

If you're worried about algae, it doesn't matter what plants you have, once you start your tank you have to monitor how much fert co2 and light you keep up on the tank to balance the system.

It's better to have lower req lighting plants since you can shade them with taller plants.

Everything comes down to lighting, co2, and ferts, and until you find out whats going into the tank and what method of dozing, co2 ect. It's hard to determine how it'll turn out
What is dry start method, is there any threads about this?

Yes I plan on adding C02.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.