The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just reading the other thread, and was wondering, for a planted tank can you go aorund to rivers and lakes and pick plants out of them to add into the tank? i know that caution is needed and it depends on the plant, but could this work?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do i need to do anything to them or do i just add into tank?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Some people do bleach dips, but depending on the plant, it might melt. Also I'd place it in a quarantine tank, it might have dragonflies nymph, snails, and who knows what else that might play the deadliest game with your babies.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dragonflies nymph?snails? i hvae a lot to learn. what are some cheap alternatives to do a dip?

·
Registered
352 Posts
mix watr with bleach. i dont know the ratio tho. just google bleach dip aquarium plant.

snails are not deadly. they only get annoying once their pop is out of control.

dragonfly nymphs are another story. they can actually hunt down fish and shrimps.

what you can also do is get a 5 gal tank and just stick the plants in there for a few weeks like what you would do with fish. it'll be easier to monitor

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when you take out a plant how do you do it? do you try to take out the roots too?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Depending on the plant, if it's a stem like like Asian ambulia or Anacharis all you have to do is clip a piece around a few inches and you're good, if it's like a crypt I'd try to preserve as much as pos, then when you're ready to plant remove the dead leaves n trim back the roots a little to promote new growth.

Or you can take a pic of whatever it is n we ll try our best to help :-D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok. thanks. do dragonfly nymphs come out in the cold? the average temp. here is about 70% because we are going into fall and all, would there still be plants? or do they die off in the winter? i did a project wen i took some water from a lake and observed from microorganisms. i found a copepod thing (at the time i didn't know it was a copepod, i made the connection when i found out about them for saltwater in order to get a green mandarin) are they good or bad?

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Potassium permanganate is much milder and less likely to destroy leaves if you really want a dip (I wouldn't bother, but if it makes you feel safer, go for it). 5 or 6 bucks on Evilbay, and you only need the tiniest amount. A pinch is good for a 5g bucket.

PP is much safer than bleach or H2O2 for really fragile plants (including mosses).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Keep in mind that even when it's cold outside, your tank will have a heater and the water will b temperate. If there's eggs and warm water it'll prolly hatch.

In the extreme cases I've read someone had a case of leeches in their tanks.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Or just do a real heavy salt bath - that will kill off most pests and those it doesn't kill, it will usually cause them to react strongly enough that they will detach from the plant to try to handle the dramatic change.

If you want to make sure no snails got into the mix, let it sit for like a half hour, generally does the trick, IMX.

I'd still quarantine the plant in a quarantine tank for a couple of weeks to observe it though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.