The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a plant noob and what I'm looking for is a plant package that would do well for my low-tech 10 gallon tank. I have a fluorite bed about 1 1/2 inches, 78 C temp water, and 18 W lighting. I am hoping for plants that will not grow too fast to require maintenance and at the same time outcompete algae. I am planning on getting driftwood and some rocks soon.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
bravofleet4 said:
doesn't hydrophilia and rotala rotund require at least medium to high lighting?

i am going around 1.5 W per gallon
Im growing Sunset Hygro and Rotal Rotundifolia in 1.5 wpg. The rotala was 2 inches below the water line about a week ago and now its just at the water line.

Get more light. If you intend to stay withthe hobby you will anyway.
Yes and No. This is a mixed statement IMHO. If you want fast results and pruning every week then More light is definitely for you. But if not then you can go low light/low tech. Keeping it simple and also dont have to worry about pruning everyweek. It just takes longer to have things grow.

Hope your tank comes out nice :D

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
It takes a long time even for a high light with out co2 but with 1.5 watts per gallon it takes years to grow!!!! lol
Its a waiting game but I been noticing fast growth in my Rotala and my Petite nana. I had gotten 2 New leaves on my Petite nana in the last week and I think another is on its way. The rotala had little branching stems a week ago and they are about 2-4 inches now.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
To get your tank to fill out nicely in a short amount of time, I'd upgrade your lighting. Plus, it gives you the flexibility to grow a large variety of plants as you get more involved in the hobby.

James, my rotala grows close to 7" a week with 5WPG + pressurized CO2. Fast is relative. You believe you have "explosive" growth when you step from no CO2 to DIY CO2...but is that growth fast compared to going from DIY to pressurized? ;)

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hey James you should look on craigslist.com for good deals on aquarium light!!! They always have good deals in California!!!
Tried that and nothing. :(

epicfish said:
James, my rotala grows close to 7" a week with 5WPG + pressurized CO2. Fast is relative. You believe you have "explosive" growth when you step from no CO2 to DIY CO2...but is that growth fast compared to going from DIY to pressurized?:icon_wink
I cant wait to see. I am slowly saving for upgrades :icon_wink . Its just fast for me lol.

epicfish said:
It's hard to find 20" fixtures in general...I've tried.:icon_frow
Agreed :icon_frow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.