The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pictures of typical plant nutrient deficiencies? Signs to look for.... I have just started a planted tank for the first time and i am horrible at it. I see these lists stating which plants are easy to grow but what are the super easy can't mess up plants (but thats probably better for another thread)? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,955 Posts
You can't really have over lighting; more light will drive plants to grow more, and thus place an increased demand for CO2 and nutrients. You are likely to see CO2 and/or nutrient deficiencies instead of "overlighting" symptoms.

Of course, if the plants grow too close to the light, they may get burned (i.e. leaves may turn black and wilt away).

For lighting deficiencies, you will see yellowing of the plant.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of typical plant nutrient deficiencies? Signs to look for.... I have just started a planted tank for the first time and i am horrible at it. I see these lists stating which plants are easy to grow but what are the super easy can't mess up plants (but thats probably better for another thread)? thanks.
Just make sure to add good nutrients and CO2(if you do........do you use CO2?).
This rules out deficiencies because you provide non limiting amounts.
Then there is no more dependency on either, plants will grow well, provided you have enough light.

More light is not better, typically, 2w/gal is good for most new folks.

Good CO2, or perhaps Excel, add ferts regularly and do water changes etc.

CO2 is never on any of those charts, but is the most common issue for "fertilizer" deficiencies. Mostly because all the charts are from and form terrestrial plants, where CO2 is never limiting really due to rapid diffusion(10,000 faster than water).

So that changes everything.
Algae and smaller twist tips are the most common signs and general lack of pearling(riccia is a good plant for this) and growth.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts