The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pic below is of an Anubias (Eyes or Nana, not sure) in my RCS tank. It and another are showing one or two yellowing leaves. I want to correct this. I'm guessing that it's either Nitrogen or Potassium def. What do you experts say?

Tank details:
10G
20W 6500k CFL
Sponge filter
Azoo Palm filter
Aquaclear 20
No chemical filtration, Mech and Bio only
Play sand substrate
Red Cherry Shrimp (50+ and climbing)
MTS, Ram's Horn, and Pond snails (lots)

Dosing Regime:
Excel 1ml a day
Flourish 1ml a week (just started dosing twice a week so 1ml X 2 days)
Iron 1ml a week
Trace 2.5ml a week

Any help is appreciated!

Sark

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up on NPK! I guess my Dec supplies order will be including more of the Flourish line.

I read the article on the anubias in shrimp tanks. Thanks for the info. My tank has lots of circulation with a sponge filter and two HOBs. I don't intend to trim them any time soon but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Sark

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
While deciding to purchase either commercial products or bulk chemicals for a source of macronutrients is a decision you can make yourself, I heavily endorse the usage of bulk chemicals, as it is significantly cheaper than buying commercially available products.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While deciding to purchase either commercial products or bulk chemicals for a source of macronutrients is a decision you can make yourself, I heavily endorse the usage of bulk chemicals, as it is significantly cheaper than buying commercially available products.
I've never bought chems in bulk so if you'd be so kind as to elaborate, I'd appreciate the information.

Sark

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
are you showing signs of deficiency in any other plants? slow growing plants like anubias are usually the last to show deficiency aren't they?
The hygro is showing curling leaf edges and some pin holes but everything else seems to be pretty much ok. There is a little browning in the Java moss but I think this is from having it partially covered for several days with plants I was floating before getting a chance to plant them in two other tanks.

I am getting hair algae now though so I'm assuming that it's out feeding the higher plant life for the nutrients that are available since, as noted above, they're not getting enough macronutrients.

I love my plants as much as the fish and shrimp so I'm hoping to get this tank under control and make it into a nice show piece.

Sark

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not to sure on this, but could it possibly be a co2 issue? Since he has had a recent sprout of algae now and adding more ferts?

Did you just recently start dosing fertilizers because you noticed a deficiency? Or have you been dosing since tank start up? If you have just started, keep dosing and you should see a turn around with in a few weeks.

nice sig by the way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not to sure on this, but could it possibly be a co2 issue? Since he has had a recent sprout of algae now and adding more ferts?

Did you just recently start dosing fertilizers because you noticed a deficiency? Or have you been dosing since tank start up? If you have just started, keep dosing and you should see a turn around with in a few weeks.

nice sig by the way.
The dosing's been going on since day one practically. I wish I had pressurized CO2 but the best I can do is DIY for now. Excel daily in 1mg doses is about all I can do as there's a Wendtii Bronze in this tank and it'll melt with higher doses, or so I've read.

I'm begining to think about pulling out the sand and replacing with Eco-Complete as I've had great results with it in other tanks.

Thanks for the compliment on the sig. I've a great love of the Skyline and Sylvia. I even have two RC Skylines, one's an XMod and the other a Tamiya TB02 chassis.

Sark

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pick up some seachem root tabs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.