The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can you guys (and gals) help ID these plants? I'm thinking a couple of Ludwigias. Not sure about the third. Also saw a fourth not pictured here that was a lot the first but it was all green and every leaf had a black spot in the middle of the leaf. This is a 15 acre lake and right at the water around the entire thing is a 1 to 3 foot band of hairgrass - as seen in photo three.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
#2 Looks like Alternthera reineckii but maybe Tinanti will see this and be of more help.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I stand corrected. Those actually seem like the right id's. Very cool plants. I really like the rotala ramosior.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That was me who answered. It's not L. peploides. Look at the shape of the fruit in this botanical drawing (long, cylindrical object):
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LUPE5&photoID=lupe5_002_avd.tif

The two have very different fruit, for one.

See I told you Tinanti would be of more help. By the way Tinanti is the Rotala ramosior a good plant for growing submersed. I haven't seen anybody mention trying it in their tanks. Sorry for hijacking your thread but I really like the look of this plant. Even if it can't be grown submersed it is beautiful regardless.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
See I told you Tinanti would be of more help. By the way Tinanti is the Rotala ramosior a good plant for growing submersed. I haven't seen anybody mention trying it in their tanks. Sorry for hijacking your thread but I really like the look of this plant. Even if it can't be grown submersed it is beautiful regardless.
Yes, it's really nice. The one we find up here always stays green, but we did collect one in Florida that grows red submersed (not for sale yet). It behaves more like an Ammannia. Really needs good light and space.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...details.php?id=192&category=genus&spec=Rotala

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.