The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I got a bunch of those betta-bulbs for a few of my tanks; ended up with these three growing and looking good; two appear to be the same species, one I'm not so sure about. it's significantly brighter green than the others, but it was grown in high light (20watt CF over 2.5g; didnt realize how bright it was and changed it quickly to a 9watt) and the two larger plants (one bright green, one reddish brown/dark green) have very similar/identicle flowers.

the two reddish ones sprouted in a 5.5g with a 15watt NO light, and a 29g with a 24watt T5HO and CO2.

the shots of the plants themselves:

the bulb of the smallest (all 3 bulbs basically looked the same, I was surprised the plants came out so different):

and the flowers:
(green one)

(reddish brown one)

right now they are in a 2.5g minibow with stock filtration, a 9watt screw-in CF, standard sand/gravel, and a betta

I am planning to tear down this 2.5g and re-start it with the same setup but using eco-complete substrate; should I keep the plants in there, keep certain plants in there, or move them all to other tanks? I have a 10g NPT with 2X15watt strip lights, or the 29g with 24watt T5HO and DIY CO2.

in any case, will cutting the flowers off harm the plants? or can I leave them underwater and let the grow their stalks to reach the surface again?

·
Registered
480 Posts
The first one kinda looks like a sad amazon sword :p
or a crypt.

Cutting the flowers off will not do anything other than allow the plant to spend more energy growing, rather than flowering. Putting them underwater will most likely kill them (could be wrong here...)

Sorry I'm not of anymore help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
huh; it does kind of look like some sort of sword- but I didnt think swords grew in those bulb packs.

like I said, these were all grown from "betta-bulb" packs, from bulbs that looked rather like little tiny onions. regardless, I think I'm going to try moving them to my 29g for now, since I need more plant mass and want to re-do this 2.5g.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yay! :D that's what I've been hoping they were! I have them in a 10g NPT tank now- do you think I should move them, or are they gonna choke out all the other plants?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.