The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

So this is a 10 gallon that I'm setting up for some Pea Puffers. My dream was a beautiful planted scape, but here we are. LOL! I'm currently running Aqua NEO CO2(DIY) and dosing ThriveC twice a week, but I plan on switching over to dry ferts and going with the EI method in the next week or so once my package arrives. In the sand, I am using Osmocote Root Tabs.

I had an aponogeton ulvaceus that was struggling in my larger community tank that I threw in there just to see what happened... and oh it took off. Massive roots and growth. I don't know why it wasn't happy in the larger tank. But at any rate, I traded it for the stem plants in the back right that are overgrown and the plant in the front left (I put an arrow pointing to it. I don't know what either are, my LFS didn't have them labeled. The background plants changed leaves on me. They used to be real broad and round, but they changed up. I guess that's normal?
Plant Water Plant community Vertebrate Green

My real concern is my little buddy in the front. It's been in there for about a month. But it still looks sad. It looks like some algae is growing on it. Any ideas what I can do to help? I cut down my light intensity and light period(~6 hours). It's a Nicrew SkyLED+ on there. Any guidance or ideas are greatly appreciated.
Plant Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Grass Groundcover

Thanks!

·
Registered
782 Posts
The plant in front appears to be a rosette sword, one of the few swords that actually stay small. It's showing deficiency because they are heavy feeders and those stem plants are probably slurping up the nutrients faster than it can. Swords feed best from the root zone, so a couple judiciously placed root tabs should solve your problem. If well fed, it should eventually toss out a bloom stalk which if kept underwater will form plantlets so you can have more of them. As long as you give them enough nutrients, they are a very easy species to grow.

Edit: I re-read your post and it looks like you are using osmacote tabs. How often do you add them, and did you place any right beneath the sword? If you're adding them regularly, that sword should be taking off and producing loads of new leaves. However, as I said, they are heavy feeders, so you do need to add tabs probably monthly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @MissCris on the ID! I Googled it and I think you got it! Sadly, mine doesn't look nearly as good. LOL! TBH I might not have placed any root tabs in that zone. That area was bare until I traded for the plant and I can't quite recall if I placed a tab there or not. If I did, it was when I first got it which would've been about a month ago. I'll throw one down and monitor it over the next couple of weeks to see if there is any improvement. Judiciously even, I like that word. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.