The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 3 plants, and just kinda stuck them as deep into the substrate as possible, idk how to plant it though, in the first pic it is only one plant, the long stem ones, and in the 2nd there are two different plants, which are very leafy so it may be hard to tell the diff, but one is def a water sprite. oh yeah, and is it ok to have a filter blowing on the plants non stop?

Attachments

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
First pic darker green plant is Anacharis. Does better as a floating plant as it won't really put down roots.

Looks like a swordplant beside it. If the leaves on the sword are as clear as they look in the picture, you should probably put a root tab underneath it b/c it looks nutrient deficient.

The bottom is Hygro difformis/water sprite. You can grow that one floating or planted.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Er, Hygrophila difformis is water wisteria, not water sprite. And it does grow roots - as does true water sprite, which is a fern.

The sword plant is probably losing its emerse leaves. If it survives and grows submerse leaves, it will outgrow the 5 gallon tank pretty quickly, a good excuse to get a bigger tank!

That's hairgrass at the bottom of the tank.

Anacharis looks fine as a floating plant. It sends down holdfasts that are roots, but does not need them for nourishment and can do fine unanchored. BTW, a number of fish including goldfish love to eat this plant. Many smaller fish such as guppies seem to pick at it but are eating the microscopic life living on its leaves.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so any suggestions on what I should do? beside from raising the powerhead? I might just put the Anacharis in my 20 gallon long, but I really don't want my amazon sword to die, I might get some Java Ferns to replace the Anacharis if I remove them, how well do those grow?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts