The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend I went into my local fish shop and saw a UNS 75S there that they brought back from aquashella. It was a great deal and came with all the equipment, plants, aquascape. I intended to remove the aquascape and do my own but to my disappointment I found out that the entire aquascape is cemented together and to the tank. It’s a beautiful aquascape but I am a bit dissapointed that I won’t be able to do my own scape. This would be my first tank so I do not know much about the plants. There is some Monte Carlo, but these other plants are unknown to me. I would also be interested in good plants to add to the tank. I do have co2, just not setup yet.
Plant Grass Bedrock Terrestrial plant Groundcover

Green Nature Branch World Wood

Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Grass Evergreen

Plant Leaf Wood Sunlight Bedrock

Natural environment Plant Water Terrestrial plant Organism

Plant Rectangle Wood Twig Grass

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The main plant in picture 3 is Hygrophila pinnatifida.

The grass like plant in the second to last picture is likely some species of dwarf hair grass like Eleocharis parvula or eleocharis acicularis.

The above water plant in the first picture might be some species of Selaginella but I am mostly guessing here.

How is the hardscape attached to the glass? Usually that kind of thing is done by using silicone. If you have a very thin blade like a hacksaw blade (just the blade not the saw) or a metal paint scraper blade if you can find one big enough, you should be able to take the hardscape out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main plant in picture 3 is Hygrophila pinnatifida.

The grass like plant in the second to last picture is likely some species of dwarf hair grass like Eleocharis parvula or eleocharis acicularis.

The above water plant in the first picture might be some species of Selaginella but I am mostly guessing here.

How is the hardscape attached to the glass? Usually that kind of thing is done by using silicone. If you have a very thin blade like a hacksaw blade (just the blade not the saw) or a metal paint scraper blade if you can find one big enough, you should be able to take the hardscape out.
Thanks!

I have no idea. I cant see anything around any of the edges. It’s a layer of rock around the bottom and not a single thing will budge. There is a bunch of aquascaping foam in the middle, there is one spot where I can see. I think if I took a chop saw and started cutting out wood I could probably get it out, but I wanted to repurpose the hard scape. I am also afraid that if I get to where I can lift out something, a hidden rock could fall off and hit the tank.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I have no idea. I cant see anything around any of the edges. It’s a layer of rock around the bottom and not a single thing will budge. There is a bunch of aquascaping foam in the middle, there is one spot where I can see. I think if I took a chop saw and started cutting out wood I could probably get it out, but I wanted to repurpose the hard scape. I am also afraid that if I get to where I can lift out something, a hidden rock could fall off and hit the tank.
I suppose it just depends on how much you like that one scape. I change my scapes every few months to once a year. So having a forever scape is just not something I would ever want to contemplate.

If your LFS made this tank themselves (as opposed to winning it) I would ask them how they did it.

If there is foam holding the rocks together it was like "Great Stuff Pond and Stone". Basically an expanding foam in a can. That's likely what is holding the whole thing to the tank as well which is good news for you because again, it will be easy cut through. I would still use the hacksaw blade idea. Basically its a very stiff and thin blade that you can use by hand to get under the rocks and saw slowly back and forth until you get it to separate. I'd take the risk of damaging the tank because again, I can not tolerate having a permanent scape. BUT your mileage will vary in this regard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts