The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something snuck in with my plant purchase a month ago now it's growing nicely. It's a low ground cover plant with reddish-green blyxa looking leaves. It seems to be thriving in high light and is sending out many runners.

The plant in question is in the circle. Sorry this is the best angle I could get, the hairgrass is taking over big time! :icon_twis I wouldn't mind building a tank around this plant if it propagates well. So far I haven't been able to pin an ID on this lovely plant.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4 views and you nailed it. Thanks alot Z!
Does e. tenellus make a good carpet plant?
It's interesting all the pictures I've seen of e. tenellus showed green leaves guess it threw me off.

·
Registered
423 Posts
No prob :)

I wouldn't know how well it carpets. I've been looking for E. tenellus ever since I found out my "E. tenellus" turned out to be dwarf sag (doh!).

There's a few variations out there but I can't tell you off the top of my head. I know there's a simple green one and there's other like "narrow" and "pink".

I think the density of the carpet is determined by the size of your substrate and the amount of light and nutrients. finer substrate = denser.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Yup, it's E. tenellus "Micro". It actually got reclassified recently into a new genus: Helanthium tenellum. It's a very fast grower and you'll soon have more than you know what to do with ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the extended info, lego. It seems to be VERY fast grower but took 3 times longer to get established than my eleocharis. Once rooted though, the runners are growing an inch a day! In a couple months I hope to have more plantlets than I know what to do with; I can feel the M.T.S. addiction kickin in again! :angryfire:tongue::bounce::fish:

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
E. Tennellus will def give you a nice lush carpet, but since it's a darker colored plant, from my experience it doesn't display well. I like the light green carpet plants such as eleocharis 'belem', HC, or UG.

This is my old tank. You can get an idea of the color and height here (mid foreground plant).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts