The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to avoid influencing the outcome, I'm going to save the reason I'm asking until I have some IDs.... so without further ado...

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
could be, although not what it was sold to me as...
The green I got from lego kinda looks like that (maybe he'll chime in) when I got it from him, but in my tank it turns kinda red and the leaves become broad. I couldn't be 100% sure about yours.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking you're right about the ID, which is frustrating, as it was listed as just 'rotala sp. green.' I'm now looking at buying some normal rotala sp. green off of APC... sigh.

Edit: I'm actually pretty convinced there is no such thing as rotala sp. green narrow, and that in fact what is being called that is just rotala indica...

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
The best way to find out is too let it grow out for a while. Try a few stems of my Rotala sp. "Green Narrow" (which I sent out today, BTW) next to these. Give them a couple of weeks and then compare. Side by side, the leaf width is obviously different between the two variants.

·
Registered
931 Posts
svenboogie, when something is phrased as [genus name] sp. "description" it means that it isnt an official recognized species name, its just a variant or cultivar. So if i grow a rotala that looks a little different than other rotalas, i can call it "rotala sp. 'super green crazy pancake-leaf'" if i want to. I would think of a better name than that, but that was just to illustrate the point i was trying to make.

also, Rotala indica is a very deep red plant, and its pretty uncommon. R. rotundifolia is often sold as R. indica, so that could be what you have.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
svenboogie, when something is phrased as [genus name] sp. "description" it means that it isnt an official recognized species name, its just a variant or cultivar. So if i grow a rotala that looks a little different than other rotalas, i can call it "rotala sp. 'super green crazy pancake-leaf'" if i want to. I would think of a better name than that, but that was just to illustrate the point i was trying to make.

also, Rotala indica is a very deep red plant, and its pretty uncommon. R. rotundifolia is often sold as R. indica, so that could be what you have.
Ah, I appreciate that, explains a lot. I was never entirely sure what the 'sp.' was about. In any case, I bought 10 stems of what I'm nearly certain is what is actually rotala sp. green on APC yesterday, so it should help to be able to see this stuff right next to it.

EDIT: This is what I just bought on APC:

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I was under the impression that "sp. green" generally was used to indicate that it should stay green even under high light... hmm...
Well, They were sold to me by lego from his 20L tank a while back. Unless he accidentally threw in a different Rotala sp. in there lol? I think that could be the issue with mine. It looks very nice though. :biggrin: What do you guys think? Here's a pic:

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
When I first started up my 20, I had sp. "Green" and sp. "Green Narrow" both, and when they were next to each other, the difference was obvious. I've since removed all of the sp. "Green", so what's headed your way now is all sp. "Green Narrow".

Nick, I'm at a total loss as to that Rotala. When I sent yours, sp. "Green Narrow" was the only Rotala in the tank (other than the true R. indica (ex-Ammania "Bonsai)). Someday, I'll have to get a stem of that stuff from you and throw it back into my 20L to see what happens, cause the true R. Green should stay green no matter what.

Here's mine (with some R. Singapore. That orange-ish stem off to the right is some R. colorata that I threw in for like 2 days and then took out)

This is under 130W of CF lighting and it stays perfectly green, even with my overdosing EI ferts.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
When I first started up my 20, I had sp. "Green" and sp. "Green Narrow" both, and when they were next to each other, the difference was obvious. I've since removed all of the sp. "Green", so what's headed your way now is all sp. "Green Narrow".

Nick, I'm at a total loss as to that Rotala. When I sent yours, sp. "Green Narrow" was the only Rotala in the tank (other than the true R. indica (ex-Ammania "Bonsai)). Someday, I'll have to get a stem of that stuff from you and throw it back into my 20L to see what happens, cause the true R. Green should stay green no matter what.
Adam,

I got these way back before you sent me the previous R. green package. You sent these to me when we traded for the bag of Crypt sp. (unknown)... remember? You had a nice mixture of all kinds of plants including that little erio 'red' australia. So I'm pretty positive it aint R. green narrow but it's a nice looking Rotala tho so I'm not complaining.

I'd be glad to swap some later when I get more from these plants. I'll let you know bro.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Adam,

I got these way back before you sent me the previous R. green package. You sent these to me when we traded for the bag of Crypt sp. (unknown)... remember? You had a nice mixture of all kinds of plants including that little erio 'red' australia. So I'm pretty positive it aint R. green narrow but it's a nice looking Rotala tho so I'm not complaining.

I'd be glad to swap some later when I get more from these plants. I'll let you know bro.
Ooooohhhhh...now I remember. Yeah, I bet it's R. rotundifolia then. I got lots of that.

Brian, the R. "Green Narrow" should get to you tomorrow, so let me know how it looks as compared to the others you've gotten :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts