The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sold this plant under the assumption it was a Crypt Balansae....

However, based on how it is propagating I'm not sure if it is.

Propagating:
Vertical Runner shoots up
Small bulb forms
leaves come out of the bulb
bulb forms roots
bulb breaks free on its own

^almost like a sword would

With that info and the pics can someone please identify?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
if they're not crypts, then maybe aponogeton like hybridherp suggested? maybe crispus, bolivianis or longiplumulosus?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AWESOME

Just google searched using that... now gotta figure which it is...

one site shows a undulatus that looks like it, but then the longiplumulosus looks like it too

·
Registered
36 Posts
it might also be crinum natans or something similar. i read that these actually propogate by baby bulbs which is something my aponogeton's don't do...or at least i don't think so.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just judging from the base of the plant it isn't a natans - that bulb looks far different than the plants I have.

I have them in a miraclegro topsoil capped with black diamond

·
Registered
36 Posts
haha, well, maybe we got it right the first time then. ^_^ i have my aponogetons in a similar substrate (MGOPM capped w/floramax) and they grow in a similar fashion to what you've described. i've just never seen them form baby bulbs, but that doesn't mean that they don't! either way, at least you have an idea of what it might be. c:

·
Registered
383 Posts
The first pic really does look like balansae, but the one beneath looks like an aponogeton. This is the same plant? I know crypt spiralis kinda propagates like that, via runners, although I don't see 'bulbs'. If it's longiplumulosus, it might turn reddish, at least mine did, pretty African plant.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, same plant, I think that's why my supplier got them mixed up.

All of them are a small "kidney" shaped bulb when I planted them, and the "baby" plants all form little bulbs. I'm just happy I have a general idea of what it is lol.

·
Registered
230 Posts
All aponogetons I have had in the past flowered easily, were self fertile, and would drop large green seeds that sprouted quickly. Would this describe what might be happening in your tank? The seeds could be viewed as a mini bulb, if you didn't realize they were seeds.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These don't "drop", if you look closely at the 2nd picture, the "bulb" is attached to a runner and is developing roots. After awhile that breaks free and floats around till I plant it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts