The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some aquariums today and the guy found these plants he had bagged for something else but forgot so told us we could have them...but I'm not really sure what they are. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh yep, the one on the left does look like one of those two. I have no experience with either one, hence being lost as to what they are.

The one on the right looks like this when submerged. Because these plants were forgotten for awhile, they're probably not in the best shape. I can't tell if it is melted or if the stems don't belong in there...

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Plant 1 looks like Rotala rotundifolia.
The 2nd one looks like dead Hygrophila difformis.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't believe the second is limnphila aromatica, I have some of that and it looks different. Looking at some of the leaves stuck on the bag, I think Cardinal Tetra may be correct that it is hygrophila difformis. The leaves branch off rather than being single thin leaves.

Here is a closer shot of the first though. Sorry for so many pictures.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, I know they don't look so good. I think they'd been packed up to take somewhere at the beginning of the month and forgotten about...but we were there to pick up tanks and so...free plants are free plants.

Should I get rid of all the mushy stuff on the second ones leaving just stems or try to leave any parts that seem ok?

Additionally, I just have them floating in a pitcher of treated water currently, and they're turning the water a little green/brown. Is that just from the rotting parts?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would leave them in a picture of water for a couple of days till they start to grow. You may need to change the water to keep it clean for them. Once they have new growth you can trim it off and plant nice new plants.

MAHA

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I changed the water today and just moved them gently around in it, letting anything that was rotting just come off, i'll keep watching them and changing for a few days to see how they do. Might try the first bunch in a grow out tank for now to see how they do.

In cleaning out the bits floating around, i found this intact piece of the second bunch, which ought to help confirm it's identity. Really looking like hygrophila difformis to me, what do you think?

·
Registered
705 Posts
true but hygo diff is rarely that dark tends to me more lime green leave it in the tank for a while and see what happens good luck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright. It'll be interesting to see what it turns out to be if it actually grows.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I changed the water today and just moved them gently around in it, letting anything that was rotting just come off, i'll keep watching them and changing for a few days to see how they do. Might try the first bunch in a grow out tank for now to see how they do.

In cleaning out the bits floating around, i found this intact piece of the second bunch, which ought to help confirm it's identity. Really looking like hygrophila difformis to me, what do you think?

wisteria....???

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
the first is R. rotundifolia and the second is H difformis.
It def is not Bolbitis. First of all it doesn't have a thick rhizome.....the end

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the first is R. rotundifolia and the second is H difformis.
It def is not Bolbitis. First of all it doesn't have a thick rhizome.....the end
Thanks much :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts