The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well FB is down so I’ll ask here instead. Any of y’all know what plant this is? I’m sure it’s not a beginner plant but I like the how it full it is at the top like a tree canopy almost. Thanks y’all

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Looks like Aponogeton Ulvaceus. This is a bulb plant did you plant a bulb ? Also they will periodically go dormant - mine - i just leave them in the tank and at unpredictable intervals they resprout.
I've had the same experience with aponongeton bulbs of several different variations. I agree this looks like ulvaceus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like Aponogeton Ulvaceus. This is a bulb plant did you plant a bulb ? Also they will periodically go dormant - mine - i just leave them in the tank and at unpredictable intervals they resprout.
It’s not my tank, just a pic I saw a while back I liked and saved for inspiration. Thanks for the info though.

Sweet it looks like that’s actually a decent beginner plant. I’ll add that to the list lol

·
Registered
400 Posts
They are not reliable long term. Being bulbs and being you will not be removing the bulb and store it in peat for a few months and as it starts new,replant...chances are it sort of fades away. That's in normal no Co2 tanks. I don't know if the greater growing conditions of intense lights and Co2 would keep it going for years maybe.
There's a Nuphar or Nymphea that looks much like that..and it's evergreen I believe. A better deal.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Never had an issue with mine. I have one in the back of my 40b, not ulvaceus but crispus, that's seen 4 different tanks over 10 years and though it will go dormant for a couple months (drops leaves and disappears) the roots stay strong and the leaves grow back.
If you get about 10 bulbs you can do a little ******* wabikusa ball by taking coco mat, putting a root tab in the middle (where the bottom of the ball will be) along with some inert planted substrate and put the bulbs in there, wrap them up with plastic mesh and bury the ball 2/3 into the substrate you should be able to get growth, regardless of the reliability of the bulb source.
If you can order one that has already been sprouted you can avoid the bulb viability issue, but I've never had an issue. How this sees you well. 😁

·
Registered
400 Posts
I guess I was from the days of pre intense lighting or even feeding for plants. My A.crispus types would flower and make seed..and then pretty much faded away.
Also- even though they do cycle? You just have to decide if you want a plant that needs room- and then leaves a vacuum for months in its dormancy.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've grown several different aponogeton including crispus, boivinianus and ulvaceus among others. My crispus which is approx 3 years old has never gone into complete hibernation but it does got through periods of not putting out new leaves. My boivianus (i have 3) have gone over 2 years without hibernation. My ulvaceus (I have 4) seem to go into hibernation every 3 to 6 months for an equal period BUT i've not bothered removing the bulbs and they do come back. I also have several madagascar and a few others. Interesting tid bit on the madagascar. The first one i had the leaves were no more than 1/4 an inch wide and about 8 inches long - quite manageable in a small tank and I just figured they were small. The second one had leaves that were over 3 1/2 inches wide and over 24 inches long - was a bit shocked given the first one. Did a bit of research and there are (I think from memory) over 100 different varieties of madagascar of different sizes and shapes. Something to consider if you pick up one.
-
My favorite by far are the boivianus.

Never had an issue with mine. I have one in the back of my 40b, not ulvaceus but crispus, that's seen 4 different tanks over 10 years and though it will go dormant for a couple months (drops leaves and disappears) the roots stay strong and the leaves grow back.
If you get about 10 bulbs you can do a little ******* wabikusa ball by taking coco mat, putting a root tab in the middle (where the bottom of the ball will be) along with some inert planted substrate and put the bulbs in there, wrap them up with plastic mesh and bury the ball 2/3 into the substrate you should be able to get growth, regardless of the reliability of the bulb source.
If you can order one that has already been sprouted you can avoid the bulb viability issue, but I've never had an issue. How this sees you well. 😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.