The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this Ceratophyllum submersum (soft hornwort)

i got green and red ones. it feels quite soft and the leaves dont really look like those i see on websites.

looking to get a betta and i heard hornwort is bad for them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The reddish one is Rotala wallichii. Certainly not Ceratophyllum.

The other I'm not quite sure of. Kinda looks like Rotala mexicana 'green'. Are there tiny vertical grooves on the stem? It would be pretty odd to get a rare, specialty plant like that as a toss in though. Other possibility is Pogostemon, and that's probably more likely.

Where did you get it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yes. thank you. after checking they are definitely Rotala wallichii. green and red kind. bought it at a local shop. im new to the hobby and just purchased whatever looked good to me and pray they survive in my new tank. :D They are growing so fast i thought it might be hornwort

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Not to say there couldn't be, because there are red and green versions of other Rotalas, but I have never heard of green wallichii. I think your green plant is something else.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I think the green one is a Mayaca spp. See how the leaves are arranged differently on the stem, alternate instead of in whorls? It doesn't look quite like M. fluviatilis but M. sellowiana gets into the trade as well.
Good possibility. A better photo would help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts