The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this plant today at petco. They keep all clippings jumbled up and most the tags have fell off of them. I picked this one cause it's so bright. Anyone know the name?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
That's purple waffle (Hemigraphis 'Exotica'), leaves are too wide to be dragon's tongue (Hemigraphis repanda). Both along with a dozen other plants are commonly mis-sold as aquatic because they don't rot quickly under water. But they do better as bog/terrestrial plants with roots in water and leaves in the air.
Clippings have a tendency to wilt pretty bad but bounce back after 1-2 weeks with cut end in either water or moist soil.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Looks like your sword has a lot of emersed leaves that will die off too. Best to clip them as they start to brown as to not to foul your tank with their decay. New submersed leaves should be taking their place.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes my plants are in very rough shape right now (before I added the purple waffle) i added too much fertilizer and basically burnt all the leaves on everything... I had to empty out my tank 3 times to finally get the Ammonia levels down. Now the water is fine and everything is starting to heal. I went to the pet store and bought the purple waffle and another plant. They weren't labeled so I had no way to look it up before I bought them. I'm too ashamed to post all my plants right now lol. But I have been trimming the leaves as new ones grow in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.