The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
According to flowgro the two are different plants with aromatica having fewer leaves. They're also saying there's apparently also an L. aromitcoides. Here are the differences as given by flowgro:

- Limnophila aromatica: 2-3 leaves per stem node, of variable colour, reddish hues or green (very variable species).
- Limnophila aromaticoides (often treated as synonym of L. aromatica): 3-8 leaves per stem node, overall plant colour is exclusively light green
- Limnophila hippuridoides: 6-8 leaves per stem node, colour reddish to intensively dark red.
Similar to both other species, crushed leaves of L. hippuridoides smell more or less distinctly aromatic.

Limnophila aromatica - Flowgrow Aquatic Plant Database
Limnophila hippuridoides - Flowgrow Aquatic Plant Database

Of course next year it could be decided that they're all variants of the same species, and then they'll undoubtedly rename it to some name already in use for a totally different plant creating all kinds of confusion. lol At any rate - I have hippuridoides and it definitely has a scent when you bruise or pull a leaf or cut a stem.

To the op - is there a scent when you cut a leaf or stem? If so then I'd def agree it's L. hippuridoides, if not, it's prob something else.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to flowgro the two are different plants with aromatica having fewer leaves. They're also saying there's apparently also an L. aromitcoides. Here are the differences as given by flowgro:

- Limnophila aromatica: 2-3 leaves per stem node, of variable colour, reddish hues or green (very variable species).
- Limnophila aromaticoides (often treated as synonym of L. aromatica): 3-8 leaves per stem node, overall plant colour is exclusively light green
- Limnophila hippuridoides: 6-8 leaves per stem node, colour reddish to intensively dark red.
Similar to both other species, crushed leaves of L. hippuridoides smell more or less distinctly aromatic.

Limnophila aromatica - Flowgrow Aquatic Plant Database
Limnophila hippuridoides - Flowgrow Aquatic Plant Database

Of course next year it could be decided that they're all variants of the same species, and then they'll undoubtedly rename it to some name already in use for a totally different plant creating all kinds of confusion. lol At any rate - I have hippuridoides and it definitely has a scent when you bruise or pull a leaf or cut a stem.

To the op - is there a scent when you cut a leaf or stem? If so then I'd def agree it's L. hippuridoides, if not, it's prob something else.
thanks for very detailed replay i don't have this plant yet but i really like how it looks thats why i want find out the name but i i wanted yo try L. hippuridoides for some time anyway so ill give it the shot.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No prob - happy to help. It's actually become one of my favorite plants. It did take it awhile to adjust to my tank, but it was also still in emersed form when I bought it. Once the adjustment period ended, though, it became really robust, so depending on how you get it, you might need a bit of patience. Good luck! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.