The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey ya guys I was picking up my tank some today and I found this guy hanging off of one of my plants. Perhaps you guys and ID it. Sorry for the bad pic, I only have a HD hand-held cam. (hopping I get the D SLR I've been wanting for xmiss)

Also if you need them at full rez(sized down as per forum rules) I'll post links for full sized ones.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes, I believe it's Utricularia. I'd get rid of all you can find as soon as you can.

Interesting plant for what it is.

"... has tiny, almost vestigial leaves spread sparsely along what is little more than a very thin stem with occasional capture bladders. With them, it captures tiny aquatic prey."

More detailed info here:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ls.php?id=268&category=genus&spec=Utricularia

Be sure to heed the part where it says:

"...it really makes a name for itself as a pest by becoming thoroughly interwoven among other plants. Beginning as a curiosity, it soon becomes the bane of many aquascapers. Unlike myriad algae and cyanobacteria, proper fertilization and tank maintenance is of no help eliminating it; only patience, persistence and tweezers can turn the tide, as it thrives in a wide variety of conditions. Naturally, spotting and removing it prior to introduction is best. Get all of it out of there you can or it will be everywhere soon and very difficult to eradicate."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts