The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm, This seed pod is about the size of a quarter. In addition, runners sent out from this plant grow under the substrate. Same deal?

Bump: It really matches a Tiger Val sp.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Hm, This seed pod is about the size of a quarter. In addition, runners sent out from this plant grow under the substrate. Same deal?

Bump: It really matches a Tiger Val sp.
Got a pic of the whole plant? How do you trim it? How do the leaves grow back after trimming?

Helanthium spp. are mistaken for val all the time... and likely vise versa

·
Registered
782 Posts
My "jungle" val flower just like that, if it's any help.

Of course, someone said their chainsword did too.

Where is a botanist when you need one?

EDIT: some searching of usda native and introduced plant profiles later...and it looks like that is probably a male flower of vallisneria americana (female flowers are produced on tall stems at the water's surface). Chainswords seem to make "perfect" flowers, also at the surface.

I'm still not a botanist, but it looked pretty dang close to your pic.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep it about 2-3 ft long, the leaves hit the surface and trail along to the other side of the tank. At that point I cut them in half and remove the extra growth. Some photos of it are in my 75g thread below (signature -- its tucked behind the driftwood).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.