1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the following growing like gangbusters in my 29G tank:

First question: What are they?

Second question: How do I prune them?

They are probably 4' long now and are blocking the entire surface, so I want to prune them back. A few weeks ago, I cut one of them about halfway down (past the leafy part on the stem) and it never grew back, so I don't think that's the right approach (the stem never stopped being green though).

Am I just stuck with these things being extremely long?

Shaun

·
Super Moderator
12,055 Posts
Some kind of Vallisneria species, I would bet.

Instead of cutting the leaf halfway done, cut them at the base of the plant.

If you keep trimming them this way, it will eventually train the plant to put out shorter leaves.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'd just keep it hanging over the side of your tank like in the second picture! It does look like it could be a Crinium, or some kind of bulb plant. It could even be an Echinodorus sp, but we need to see the base to be certain. Either way, it's a 4' plant that you can't just give a hair cut, if it was a val you could do that, you either have to get rid of it, or live with it being as big as it is.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to get back to this thread so late, been a crazy week.

Here are some pictures of the base of the plant -- pretty sure you guys are right that it won't be something I can prune.

For the time being, I built some "clamps" out of airline tubing and suction cups and clamped the runners to the back wall of my tank. It's kind of ghetto, but it works:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts