The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with this plant. It hitched a ride on another plant I bought a few months ago and slowly grew roots from a single leaf. I was finally able to plant it about two months ago.

The first leaves (lower) weren't jagged. The top leaves are jagged and much wider than the lower leaves.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had a plant change this much.

The second tier of leaves (middle) looks more hygro now that you mention it. The top leaves are wide and not hygro looking, while the bottom leaves have no jagged edges.

It's an interesting plant.

Thanks.

Btw, any thoughts on the plant...a keeper?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Quite common and a fast grower once it gets going. I like it. However it grew TOO fast for me and was taking over my tank. Liking the leaf shape however I now grow Hygrophila sp. 'Guinea' instead:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ils.php?id=331&category=genus&spec=Hygrophila

It's a bit more robust and a larger plant with a thicker stem and larger overall circumference but as you can see similar somewhat in leaf shape. But most importantly a much slower, more moderate grower.

The difformis is well-know to be a great to help get a good plant biomass going as a way to fend off algae due to it's fast growth nature and ease of care. There's also a variegated version that sort of has whitish veins in the leaves too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.