The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad thing is I know I have seen these two plants before, but I can't figure out what they are. So your help is appreciated!

Here is the long stringy one that can just float around. I have the ends of the 3 strands planted, but they are growing so fast they are weaving in and out of everything.

Here the the planted on. The original leaves as you can see are nice and rounded, but just in 1 month I've gotten all these new spread out leaves growing like crazy.
With this plant, if you could also tell me if I can just trim it wherever, or if there is a way to duplicate it I would appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Bottom one is hygrphila difformis. The appearance in the name - difformis, two forms. The round leaves are the emersed state the pinnate leaves are the sumberesed. Top one is egeria densa.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It is not najas. It has no teeth on its leaves.

Look at the first picture and it looks like there is teeth on the leaves but maybe we need to see a closer picture.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look at the first picture and it looks like there is teeth on the leaves but maybe we need to see a closer picture.
I can assure you there are teeth on the leaves, I have the plant here at work in my betta tank. They aren't smooth. My camera sucks too bad for a close up

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
637 Posts
The H. difformis is fine in a 10 gallon as long as you prune it; just cut the top half or so of the plant just above a pair of leaves, and then replant the part you cut off in the substrate. The rooted bottom portion should send out two new shoots from the place you cut, and the top part that you planted should grow roots and become its own plant.

When they get too tall, just trim them again. When you have too many you can start getting rid of some each time you trim. If the bottoms look nice you can just get rid of the tips, but as the tips usually look nicer you can uproot the bottoms and get rid of them and plant the tips in their place.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The H. difformis is fine in a 10 gallon as long as you prune it; just cut the top half or so of the plant just about a pair of leaves, and then replant the part you cut off in the substrate. The rooted bottom portion should send out two new shoots from the place you cut, and the top part that you planted should grow roots and become its own plant.

When they get too tall, just trim them again. When you have too many you can start getting rid of some each time you trim. If the bottoms look nice you can just get rid of the tips, but as the tips usually look nicer you can uproot the bottoms and get rid of them and plant the tips in their place.
Awesome, that' really good advice. As it grows I'll look to do some trades to expand my knowledge of different plants. It's always fun getting new ones and watching them grow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.