The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can Anyone ID this plant.

Grows Everywhere behind the house, and would like to try it emersed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
good luck I.D. ing it there are so many species and variations of mosses try growing it in a ziplock baggie in the window when it shoot out aquatic leaves then a rough ID might be easier. Without a microscope and a lot of knowledge good luck getting a definate ID.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I can't ID it but it looks like a sphagnum moss....very terrestrial. It may grow emersed, but it will likely not grow submersed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, thinking of using it for a scape i am thinking about and wanted to try something different.
just got to get the XXXl Salad Bowl and work out the little things.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Gill, I think that if you try to grow that submersed it will merely rot in your tank. If you want to try somethiing different, look out for some susswassertang or special fissidens pr pelias....this won't work, but will make a nice base pot covering in a terrestrial plant :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gill, I do not have much experience with planted tanks, but mostly my area of knowlege is about the outdoors here in Michigan. I had a paludarium for about 8 months with many different species of moss, until sadly my pump stopped working and all my moss died... but I digress :) I had a moss that was similar to that, and also have a book that I could check. It looks like some kind of sphagnum moss. Where do you live? That would be most helpful. Let me know. PM if you feel.
Regards ~Dane
P.S. check this Sphagnum and Polytrichum mosses

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have it On some Bogwood and it will probably stay damp.
It won't be in the water, but just damp.

Kinda Like Steven Chongs Idea from a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
705 Posts
here is how i work. i go into my back yard pick up how ever many moss species i can find put them in a 5 gallon or what ever i have and fill it up with water i leave thim in there and just see if they will submerge. I find most take between 2-12 months some are quick, some are slow, some work, some dont. its usually an experiment, try it out in a little jar beside the window and see what happens at worst it dies off and you throw it out right ?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ah, I wouldn't drown the terrestrial mosses. As Dr. Tan at Killies.com would say, that's not very nice. :icon_lol:

There are plenty of mosses in the hobby, and lots of members who would help you get some. If you can't afford the rarer kinds, personally I think Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri) is severely underrated. :icon_mad:

Java moss is underrated to the point where anyone sees beautiful moss in a tank, they think it's anything but java moss . . . but really, it's java moss. Because they usually see it just tossed into a breeder tank (where it does grow well) with its crazy stringly growth, they don't realize that it can be extremely beautiful when properly applied and trained. It's so underrated, that all the Japanese LFs and all the publications from ADA all call Java moss, willow moss (and even use the WRONG scientific name fontinalis antipyretica which is a moss that looks completely different!). :angryfire

Ok, I'm done with my Java moss rant. IMO, unless you got a very small tank or absolutely NEED the fissidens or what have you, moss is moss. It's green, it's sparkly, and no one outside the hobby (or 80% of those in it including Amano apparently) can tell the difference. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Steven,

Went to get the Bowl, but my damn card woudl not work.
So have decided to modify one of my old tanks that are lying around collecting Dust.

I'll Post a Rough Sketch in Nano, shortly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ah, I wouldn't drown the terrestrial mosses. As Dr. Tan at Killies.com would say, that's not very nice. :icon_lol:

There are plenty of mosses in the hobby, and lots of members who would help you get some. If you can't afford the rarer kinds, personally I think Java Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri) is severely underrated. :icon_mad:

Java moss is underrated to the point where anyone sees beautiful moss in a tank, they think it's anything but java moss . . . but really, it's java moss. Because they usually see it just tossed into a breeder tank (where it does grow well) with its crazy stringly growth, they don't realize that it can be extremely beautiful when properly applied and trained. It's so underrated, that all the Japanese LFs and all the publications from ADA all call Java moss, willow moss (and even use the WRONG scientific name fontinalis antipyretica which is a moss that looks completely different!). :angryfire

Ok, I'm done with my Java moss rant. IMO, unless you got a very small tank or absolutely NEED the fissidens or what have you, moss is moss. It's green, it's sparkly, and no one outside the hobby (or 80% of those in it including Amano apparently) can tell the difference. :icon_lol:
Hello - sorry to derail this thread but Steven, could I please get some pointers on the java moss? I have a clump in my 12 gallon tank and yeah, it's unsightly. I'm starting a 2.5 gal and would like to have a couple of pieces of moss-covered driftwood for it.

Thanks,
Spidergrrrl

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

I couldn't agree more...I had a bunch growing on a curve on my Manzanita and it was so incredible. Everyone wanted some and loved it, then I told them it was java moss, and they were shocked. No detritus, flat and flowing, and filled in beautifully.

Gill, it may not like it too damp...maybe pick another type~

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sphagnum moss(es) (which is a what im pretty sure it is) generally like fairly acidic water, like in peet bogs. Id love to hear how it turns out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello - sorry to derail this thread but Steven, could I please get some pointers on the java moss? I have a clump in my 12 gallon tank and yeah, it's unsightly. I'm starting a 2.5 gal and would like to have a couple of pieces of moss-covered driftwood for it.

Thanks,
Spidergrrrl
The trick to it is attaching it to something like wood or a piece of slate. Just tie it down flat and it will grow towards the light. As for cleaning it I use a toothbrush on my moss carpet. It is attached to thin bits of slate so I can just take it right out of the tank and clean it in a bowl of water.
Here is a link to another site since I apparently post pictures on this one. This shows my java moss carpet in my ten gallon. You have to scroll up to the top of the page. Aquaria Central

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
hehe I pulled some of that off the ground up this way the other day. I guess it's not going to have much luck staying alive underwater. ahh well.
there was a cool little nano plant that I found living in the my patch I am going to try and grow. it still seems to be doign well underwater.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts