The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this plant which is a root feeder & has a brownish bulb. When I bought it at the LFS, it was fully submerged with fairly short leaves, around 2.5 inch. In the dirted tank I started recently where I planted it, its growing long shoots that reach the water surface and the leaves open and live on the water surface. So the plant has some submerged leaves (as much as 4.5 inches long) and some floating leaves (longest is 2.5 inches). The submerged ones are kind of wavy pattern, not straight.

What is the plant? I have asked this question in my thread here with pics:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=625258

Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
At first I thought it was a lotus (or water lily), but then I looked at the pictures,... I don't know what that is.
Sometimes my Argentine sword does something like that, but the stalks are more rigid and they just stay vertical as they stick out of the water and then get burned by the lights... so, I don't know. Sorry!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I had been thinking it was Aponogeton ulvaceus too. Thanks!

Yes its like a lily or something. It grows fast in that tank, will post more pics. It grows new submerged leaves, floating leaves and gives out plantlets.

Question about the floating leaves: do such leaves release oxygen into the water during photosynthesis and conversely absorb oxygen when dark?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts