The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently collected some plants from a natural warm spring system that feeds 5 ponds. The water is mid 60s and doesn't freeze over in the winter. One of the plants looks like some kind of cabomba or hornwort. Almost like your cliche plastic plant. Another looks like some kind of grass stem plant. Like giant hair grass, but it is some kind of skinny leaved stem plant. The last seems to be a mexican oak leaf variant. Has similar leaves to an oak leaf, but it is smaller and more petite. All plants were found in a foot deep warm spring creek that feeds the ponds. The water has very low turbidity and is crystal clear. I successfully grew theses plants in my aquarium way back in the day before I really knew much about planted tanks or how to properly care for plants. I never found out what species they were. I hope someone has a definite answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Chara sp. (a freshwater macro algae/Boston Bruins defenseman)

Stuckenia sp.

Something from Apiaceae (carrot family)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chara sp. (a freshwater macro algae/Boston Bruins defenseman)

Stuckenia sp.

Something from Apiaceae (carrot family)
Oh wow, thank you for the great response. You are the plant master.
That is so funny when I first saw the first one I almost thought to say
that is some kind of macro algae because of how it was growing.
Is the Stuckenia also an algae or just what one would call an aquatic weed?
LOL. Is the Apiaceae in the Oak Leaf genus or no? Carrot family!? What the...
It is probably the most attractive one, obviously, and in the past it grew really petite little leaves and looked great in the tank. I can't find any info on this one. I guess I could take it to the University and find out.

Also I found a plant in a different river, a very cold river, that had plastic Easter grass feeling leaves, like an anacharis, but its leaves were bigger and longer and crinkled like a crypt. It was a stem plant found in abundance. Basically it looked like a crypt leaved stem plant that felt like an Anacharis.
Does this ring any bells? There was definitely stuckenia and some other plants that look just like cabomba, which I am pretty sure weren't macro algae, it was a stem plant, in the same vicinity.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Cavan definitely knows his plants!

I'd love to see the other plants you are talking about and some pictures of the areas you collect them from.

The carrot family plant looks interesting. Do you have photos of it growing submersed? I haven't seen it before. Perhaps it is new to the hobby?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cavan definitely knows his plants!

I'd love to see the other plants you are talking about and some pictures of the areas you collect them from.

The carrot family plant looks interesting. Do you have photos of it growing submersed? I haven't seen it before. Perhaps it is new to the hobby?
I wish I did. I could actually go collect the other plants today, they grow in extremely shallow water, but the water is around 45 degrees. They did grow in my tank, too fast actually. I might still have some old photos of the carrot plant. Isn't hydrocotyle and all the pennywort plants in this same family? Maybe it wants to be grown laterally? That is how it is in the river. In the past It seemed to grow up, so maybe it is a tall pennywort type plant that grows up and out, basically taking over your entire aquarium! LOL I will see if I can find any older pics of it. If it is a new plant that would be sweet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts