The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a month or so now, I've been noticing these newly growing around and in my earthen bottomed stock tank:

There are two distinct types. If you look in the picture, you can see the larger ones growing more spread out in the water and the smaller ones growing in thick carpets on the shore. I think they're Eleocharis spp., but which ones? Could the small one be Eleocharis acicularis and the large one be Eleocharis montevidensis? (BTW, there are also two small starts of native cattails in the mid-upper area of the photo above, growing in the water.)

Here are some closeups:
Both:

Smaller one:

Larger one:

They are definitely spreading by runners underground and have the characteristic brownish blooms at the tips of the "leaves". You can see a few of those in the pictures.

What do y'all think? Do I have the names right or are they different species/varieties?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
wow, I'd say that you're right, looks a LOT like giant hairgrass...I might have to take some off your hands if your willing to send some my way...I'd be interested to see if there was any difference...it doesn't look like the area is completely under water, is it? Giant hairgrass does tend to grow in shallow water near the edge...

·
Registered
764 Posts
There are 67 species of Eleocharis in the states, so I would be hesitant to give a species name off hand. Both of the species you mentioned are present in Texas, so your ID could be right. You could try to make certain your ID with the help of the Flora of North America. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, I'd say that you're right, looks a LOT like giant hairgrass...I might have to take some off your hands if your willing to send some my way...I'd be interested to see if there was any difference...
Actually, that was my plan, Styxx ~ to find someone, or a couple someones, good at IDing plants and send them a box with samples of multiple plants I'd like IDed. In that pond alone there are two more plants that might be interesting in an aquarium. In one of the two spring fed creeks I have, I've spotted another one and haven't even been looking really closely yet. I may find a few more once I start really poking around down there with an eye toward aquarium plants. I found a few neat things when I started water gardening with my goldfish ponds years ago.

So, you game? Are you pretty good at IDing plants? I'm a real newbie to planted tanks, so I don't even want to trust my own ID skills. It may be as much as a month or so before I can gather them all up and ship them off. Let me know if you're interested. I'll ship them on my dime as well ~ it'd be worth it to me to have good, positive IDs as I may want to trade/sell some of these in the Swap N Shop forum.

it doesn't look like the area is completely under water, is it? Giant hairgrass does tend to grow in shallow water near the edge...
Nope, not completely under water. And it is growing at the edges, just like you were thinking. Here's a picture of the entire pond. The sparse part of the specific patch in the photo above is at the far left of the middle of the photo below, at the very edge of the pic (I took the above picture from the opposite side of that patch):

If you look at the black dog in the upper left of the photo, then look to 5:00 from her, and 4:00 and 3:00, you'll see more patches of it. There are others on the other side of the pond as well as in the foreground of the pic. It looks like the stuff'll eventually totally surround the water's edge.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but that's the only camera I have available right now. :( I miss my Nikon!:icon_cry:

There are 67 species of Eleocharis in the states, so I would be hesitant to givea species name off hand. Both of the species you mentioned are present in Texas, so your ID could be right.
Yeah, I tried to make a positive ID, but when I saw this page: USDA Plants Database with it's 75 listings of Eleocharis spp. indigenous to the US and not many pictures, I figured I'd have a much better chance for a positive ID here. :help: LOL!

You could try to make certain your ID with the help of the Flora of North America. :)
Yikes! "Try" to make a certain ID is right!:icon_lol: I know some latin, but not Greek!:icon_lol: :icon_lol: Thanks for the site though ~ I'm going back there to try to make heads or tails of it again. :biggrin:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You've got access to the UofF botany dept. to get their input?! WAY COOL!! I'll let you know when I get some plants ready to send you. DH and I went for a walk along the creek the other day to look for clams (found a BUNCH :) ) and I found six or eight (?) more promising looking types of plants, most of them growing submersed. I dug some and have them submersed in a tub out front. If they all still look good in couple weeks, I might be ready to send them to you.

Since they came out of a creek, I'd feel better if I dipped them to treat for any nasties before I sent them to you. Don't want to be the Typhoid Mary of the forum. ;) What should I dip them in? Clorox water? Hydrogen peroxide? Potassium permaganate (sp.?)? Do you have any experience with that? I've been reading, trying to find info on this, and will read some more before I try anything. I think I'll also start a thread about this asking for ideas from everyone.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You've got access to the UofF botany dept. to get their input?! WAY COOL!! I'll let you know when I get some plants ready to send you. DH and I went for a walk along the creek the other day to look for clams (found a BUNCH :) ) and I found six or eight (?) more promising looking types of plants, most of them growing submersed. I dug some and have them submersed in a tub out front. If they all still look good in couple weeks, I might be ready to send them to you.

Since they came out of a creek, I'd feel better if I dipped them to treat for any nasties before I sent them to you. Don't want to be the Typhoid Mary of the forum. ;) What should I dip them in? Clorox water? Hydrogen peroxide? Potassium permaganate (sp.?)? Do you have any experience with that? I've been reading, trying to find info on this, and will read some more before I try anything. I think I'll also start a thread about this asking for ideas from everyone.
I would suggest the Potassium Permanganate...you can also try Jungle Lab's "Clear Water" @ any Walmart. It has a diluted solution of this as the active component. It is excellent and I use it to eliminate my purchased plants of egg snails and other microbes before introducing into my tank. Hope this helps..M.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did a little Googling on Potassium permanganate and found two great articles about it.
Article One
Article Two

Sounds like that will be what I'll use. According to those two sites, it kills not only snails and bacteria but algae as well. Perfect!

I'll let you know when I find it and get a package ready to go, Styxx.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.