The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking in the top of this tank the other day, and noticed this group of plants in the back. It looks like Duckweed? is there anything else that it could be?

I ask because this tank has been running for nearly 4 months now and hasn't had any new plants added for 3 months.

The only thing that has changed in the last 3 months is about a month ago I had a new Betta that floated in there in a Breeder box. While I finished his tank. Is it possible that duckweed got into my tank from a Betta?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I see a patch of duckweed in the middle. The plant in the back is Pistia stratiotes, aka water lettuce (no such thing as dwarf!).

Also some Limnobium laevigatum (frogbit) immediately to the right of the duckweed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I need to thin out some of the floaters and would like to get rid of the duckweed...or try at least.

The water lettuce has really taken off in the tank there used to be a lot more of the frogbit.

There is also a bunch of Riccia floating just under the floaters, from a failed attempted at making a carpet out of it.

I think I'm going to pull all of the floaters out into a bucket and just sort it out a few times and hope to keep the two (frogbit and water lettuce) I want in the tank. Unless there is a better way to get rid of duckweed?

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you know anybody with goldfish, net it out and give it to them. My goldfish eat it like salad.

You have to be very patient and take every bit of duckweed out of the tank. Every time you see a piece, take it out. Eventually, you will be rid of it.

That is what I do, anyway. I do leave it in my shrimp tank, it grows very slowly in there, and when I get a handful, I give it to my tank of goldfish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.